• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mercedes 300sl roadster

conkitchen

So there I was driving home in Oakland, CA sort of near; but south of the Berkeley area in a town called Montclair, and this old dude with the top down is tooling about in a cherry, silver SL. Looked like he was going to the store to pick up his groceries.

Remember its winter here so it's been rainy and is fairly cool outside.

Yeah not a Gullwing, but how random is that for a middle-of-the-week car spotting?

But what do I know

Probably a repro, not that it's impossible to see a real one. I saw a 300SL gullwing one late night at UW when the Art museum on campus was having a show. There were two armed security guards standing right behind me when I took this. They were definitely not car people as they were just talking about the ferrari and how sweet it was. They were completely oblivious to how rare the Merc was.

385873950_60e9ecfadb_b.jpg

He's in Montclair...you expect him to be driving a run-of-the-mill BMW or something?

That area, from the Oak hills to Berzerkley, is home to many interesting rides. I'd love to have a military satelite that could see into all those tucked away garages.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

He's in Montclair...you expect him to be driving a run-of-the-mill BMW or something?

That area, from the Oak hills to Berzerkley, is home to many interesting rides. I'd love to have a military satelite that could see into all those tucked away garages.

Man I hear ya!

Whenever I drive around town in SF, I am amazed at all the interesting cars sitting in small tucked away garage spots in those apartment buildings. Jags, Alfa's, Mercedes, and plain old american cars.

I saw once a simialr situation (SL spotting) where an older gent was driving up the road in SF (Polk St) in a black or dark green 69 Dodge Charger R/T. Black plates and steel wheels with faded paint. He problably bought it new when the movie Bullet came out.

I almost wanted to chase him down on foot to the next stop sign.

But what do I know

THERE IS A DOCTOR HERE IN CARY , NC THAT HAS A GULL WING 300sl .

HE DRIVES IT AROUND TOWN OCCASIONALLY .

IT IS ONE OF THOSE CARS WHERE THE RESTORATION IS SO DEAD PERFECT THAT YOU KNOW IT MUST BE NICER THAT THEY WERE NEW .

EVERY SCREW HEAD IS PERFECT & POLISHED , EVERY STITCH IS EXACTLY IN PLACE AND IT LOOKS AS GOOD UNDERNEATH AS IT DOES ANYWHERE ELSE .

EVERY YEAR THAT HE SHOWS UP FOR THE PCA HURRICANE CHAPTER OKTOBERFEST , HE GETS BEST IN SHOW . THE REST OF US GROAN

WHEN WE SEE HIM COMING .

reodor.gif

i used to "be seen" tooling around birmingham in a repro 300sl convertible, based on a 300E chassis that had been shortened and the fibberglass body slapped on it. having seen the welding underneath that connected the front end to the back end, i was VERY nervous every time i hit a bump/railroad crossing, etc. people used to smile and wave and all i could do was shrug as i knew the ugly truth.

the reason why i was in it so often is it was constantly in the shop for one repair or the other, and i was often out test driving it.