Sign in to follow this  
FB73tii

Gr. 5 "wings"?

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am interested in following the design of the front and rear wings shown in the pre-purchase photo's of Mark McClelland's Grp. 2 Race Car:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=10&imgid=112528023

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=10&imgid=112528018

Does anyone have information on these designs and if the parts can still be sourced?

Thanks, Fred

'74tii

Guest Anonymous

I am really sorry I didn't get to respond to your email-been buried this week - I do have a reply cued up but had to research a couple of things. So here you go. The front "wings" (fenders) are Schnitzer Grp. 5 as well as the spoiler. The front fenders were fiberglass the front spoiler was fabricated from aluminum. The rear "wings" (fenders) were also fiberglass, I have to say I have NEVER seen another set like those on a 2002. My belief was that they were 3.0CSL and converted or modified for my 02. Grp 2 rules in '74, '75 didn't allow for openings in the rear fender (where oil coolers were mounted in my car), in '77 all the Grp. 5 cars had them (pretty much). The only place I have seen them offered with no price is Ahrend Tuning (google his name for the web address then go to "karosserie" and you will see them). No clue on price (other than Ahrend suggests "price on request) which isn't good, plus our dollar SUCKS. Email me with any questions you have and I will try to do a better job in getting back in a more timely manner.

http://historicracingbmw.blogspot.com/

My belief was that they were 3.0CSL and converted or modified for my 02. Grp 2 rules in '74, '75 didn't allow for openings in the rear fender (where oil coolers were mounted in my car), in '77 all the Grp. 5 cars had them (pretty much). /

This picture here shows CSL Flares converted (with extra width sections added) grafted onto a 2002 (chassis has rear subframe from an E24, Bavaria front struts, 650 HP 2.0L M10)

These CSL Motorsport style body parts were sourced from Rich Conway, who probably has been the person most strongly associated with CSL racecars here in the USA.

This is turn one at the track I race my Mustang at. The racetrack is 52 years old, and very narrow, which makes for very close quarters! As a result, we get used to taking advantage of any inch available, which sometimes startles the competition when our club's racers visit other tracks.

hmm55.jpg

Mark--thanks for the quick response on the forum and the link to Ahrend. Still interested if you have the old rear flares around, or more detailed photos. I am not planning enough HP to build a real Gr.5 car like John pictured, so would not go quite that wild with the body kit. John--excellent shot. That's huge wing on the '02! Your local track sounds like fun.

Best,

Fred

Does anyone have more pictures of what the OP posted? I'd like to see some shots of the rear if available.