Guest Anonymous

ALPINA front Axles (negative camber struts)

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

I've got those on my car. see bottom strut compared to a standard strut. Otherwise known as Inverted Bilsteins. Two degree negative camber. Supposidly only 500 sets were made back in the day. No strut cartriges. It's the whole tube. Bilstein supposidly can rebuild /revalve them . I've got inverted rear Bills also on my car also. . When I got mine they had turbo calipers and rotors, but were too far gone. Went with IE big brake kit. The spindals are same size as tii's

67182430.jpg

The Alpina rear shocks are inverted, but that nut on the bottom of the front strut tube does not mean the fronts are different in the same way. They are the same as normal Bilstein HD or Sport for 02, in terms of the piston rod fixed at the bottom, with the piston plunging inside the large diameter chrome section that comes out the top. In that sense, these ones, the HD & the Sport monotubes are all "inverted" compared to other brands of monotubes. These fat struts are P36 vs P30 designation on the HD & Sport inserts.

More close up pics of red dot struts!

If the hand-written paper label is present, the valving is shown on it.

Green = same as production 150 / 80

Yellow = sport production 180 / 90

Red = 220 / 120

struts3.jpg

struts2.jpg

struts1.jpg

Guest Anonymous

great info and great pics - those are some rare birds you have and quite valuable especially with the stickers still on them. I had a set once upon a time, like a number of things I "used" to own they have now been incorporated into Inkatouring's Touring A4 clone. The struts on the Grp. 2 car have some numbers etched in them which now that I think about it is the valving for those (will have to check that out), those struts however are ALPINA 3.0 CS/L adjustable struts - massive in size, with welded gusset plates at the bottom - I am 230+ pounds, I can stand on the sill of the car-will not budge an inch (1/16 of an inch downwards). Great posts.

I'm running stock springs with mine and I also can't hardly push the car down maybe a 1/4 of a inch. But it rides great. Hit some rr tracks and it's just a thump thump. Corners sweet. Also running over sized sways

Here is my set that is going on the "schwein" (http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,329506/). There were no original stickers on the struts, so I wasn't too concerned with SCR cleaning them up a bit. I was told they are "green dot", but they have been rebuilt and I'm not sure to which specs. I plan on running them with some B+G progressive springs.

025%20%282%29.jpg

IMG_2995.JPG

MB...

I was at SCR this week...your ride is standing tall and proud.

Id like to talk.......w/ all the spring set ups avail.....and c/o's as well , why did you go w/ a much less common BG set up?....

Guest Anonymous

A long time Bilstein employee that re-worked my ALPINA Red Dot struts told me the real difference in the ALPINA spec struts versus those that came directly from Bilstein was in the valving and more specifically in the "rebound" rate of the strut. He was a really knowledgeable guy (Jack French), old school - too bad he is gone now.

http://bmwalpina2002.blogspot.com/

Interesting. My car came with green dots in front and yellow dots in the rear. I'd like to know the reason behind different valving for front vs. rear - wouldn't you want the same all around?

I swapped the rears for the inverted bilsteins but don't know the valving on it either. One of these days I need to send the yellows and greens out to be rebuilt..

Green-dot.jpg

yellow-dot.jpg

-Jason

Hi , guys,

just to add a picture of the yellow dot struts,

they come come from my '71 works Alpina.

...and the car in action...

post-687-13667629607755_thumb.png

post-687-13667629611902_thumb.jpg