jrhone

How do I know what diff is in my 76?

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

If you happen to still have the vacuum diagram sticker under the hood..... If it says 49 state than you likely have a 3.90:1 differential.... If it says California or 50 states you likely have a 3.64:1.

There are numbers on the left side of the nose section of the diff. Let's say.... 40 and 11 it's a 3.64..

Here's a thread with Uncle CD's great pictures with all the details.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,315239/highlight,differential+identification/

HTH

If you happen to still have the vacuum diagram sticker under the hood..... If it says 49 state than you likely have a 3.90:1 differential.... If it says California or 50 states you likely have a 3.64:1.

There are numbers on the left side of the nose section of the diff. Let's say.... 40 and 11 it's a 3.64..

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,315239/highlight,differential+identification/

HTH

With all due respect to CD, that string doesn't exactly tell me what the difference is (visually) between a LSD and Non-LSD...and I'm not really that stupid most of the time. I'm just saying, if you know it's easy but if you're cracking the case for the first time you don't necessarily know what you're looking for.

HTH

With all due respect to CD, that string doesn't exactly tell me what the difference is (visually) between a LSD and Non-LSD...and I'm not really that stupid most of the time. I'm just saying, if you know it's easy but if you're cracking the case for the first time you don't necessarily know what you're looking for.

It's silly easy, spin the output flange(where the axle bolts up), if they rotate in the same direction= LSD If they spin in opposite directions = Open diff Non LSD...

It's silly easy, spin the output flange(where the axle bolts up), if they rotate in the same direction= LSD If they spin in opposite directions = Open diff Non LSD...

Outstanding! I remember something about that from like 30 years ago. Good to know, thanks. Now can you clear up that whole "i before e" thing from grade school English?