florida2002m3

Title HELP PLEASE!!

16 posts / 1585 viewsLast Reply

So the insurance company is going to total my car for $5K and then sell it back to me for $1K. Leaving me with $4K and a car. They are then going to issue the VIN a certificate of destruction, thus i will never be able to register it again. It is by no means totaled.

So i am calling out to my fellow 02'ers. Does anyone have a parts car with a good title that i can buy the steering wheel cover (with VIN) and title from?

Then i can just exchange the cover that has the VIN and show them the bill of sale and title and the VIN on the dash..... baaaam i can save this car from certain death!!!!!!

Please Help.

post-13477-13667620223666_thumb.jpg

I have a '76 that I'm either going to part out or sell outright. I still have some things to do to it (swap out the engine and rear suspension) and I'm in Florida. Don't know if that helps or not but keep it in mind.

Guest Anonymous

What you are proposing is a felony... A federal one at that.... Florida issues salvage titles.... Are you a cop???? No one here would do what you propose.......

A Salvage Title will be issued. You will still be able to register the car and depending on your state DOT, may have to have the car pass a safety inspection.

You cannot clean up the Title, that's illegal. It will remain a Salvage Title. As such, be sure to have your Ins. Co. cover diminished value on your claim.

Cheers!

Pike perkins, ive never seen your car cruising around. Whats your email?

they are going to issue a "certificate of Destruction", i was hoping for a salvage but the insurance company issued it unsafe.

The only real damage was that the clutch line melted and some wires melted.

I am not a cop, lol. I went and spoke with the tax collector (tag office) to see if there is any way to get my Certificate of Destruction cleared up. She said the only thin to do is to "part out the car", she made it clear that it is a loophole in the law that allows me to "take all of the parts from my car, and put it into another car" or just the important parts (vin number) from another car and put it into my car.

Pike perkins, ive never seen your car cruising around. Whats your email?

they are going to issue a "certificate of Destruction", i was hoping for a salvage but the insurance company issued it unsafe.

The only real damage was that the clutch line melted and some wires melted.

I am not a cop, lol. I went and spoke with the tax collector (tag office) to see if there is any way to get my Certificate of Destruction cleared up. She said the only thin to do is to "part out the car", she made it clear that it is a loophole in the law that allows me to "take all of the parts from my car, and put it into another car" or just the important parts (vin number) from another car and put it into my car.

I'm in Melbourne. You haven't seen the '76 because it's been on jack stands for 6+ months. Just to be clear, I was offering my '76 "jack stand" car to transfer the parts over or whatever you'd like to do. I need the garage space for my new car ('74 Inka).

I understood, lol. All i need is a clean title with matching VIN tags. Prefer from a junk car that would never have a chance of making it back on the road. Shoot me an email if you think you can help me out.

[email protected]

Thanks guys for the help.

but the insurance company issued it unsafe.

In Washington, the State Patrol will inspect your car and tell the insurance

company that they are full of shit. It's important to document

the original state of the car and the stuff you replaced and repaired

to 'recommission' it.

You do usually get a 'rebuilt' title... up until a certain age, then you

just get a 'reissued' title.

I built a trailer, and the guys at the inspection station were very cool. Took

all of 20 minutes, got my certificate for title issuance, and we were done.

Worst case, find another state. But I bet yours has a similar procedure.

t

Thats exactly what i thought. Deem the car as unsafe, then head to a garage or inspection station and get them to say "this vehicle is safe". I dug pretty deep with the tax/tag/title place and she was very nice in explaining that there is no way to get it retitled, my VIN is forever deemed a menace to the roads, lol. Not in a good way :) So she explained that there is a way around this silly rule. I understand that it protects us from unsafe POS's on the road, but it was my insurance company that saw 20 pictures of some burnt wire and some smoke marks and deemed it unsafe. They wont even let me take it to a professional.

I thought very strongly that there MUST be some way to do paperwork, jump through hoops, ect to get the title to a registerable state. But she was nice enough to show me all of the docs stating that there is no paperwork route to get her back on the road.

I have one word for you:

Move.

We all knew in our hearts that Florida was rotten at the core, but this proves it.

Insurance companies cannot be considered in any way competent to

assess the mechanical state of a car. For one, they have a vested financial

interest in it. For another, they have a LOT less professional licensing

than a hairdresser.

Might I suggest Pennsylvania? They might even be worse...

t

LMAO, that is great. I moved down here for school and stayed for a woman and a job. But i agree, there are some @%#backwards laws here. Most states do, but none of them have threatened my 2002, and that is not acceptable :)

Thats exactly what i thought. Deem the car as unsafe, then head to a garage or inspection station and get them to say "this vehicle is safe". I dug pretty deep with the tax/tag/title place and she was very nice in explaining that there is no way to get it retitled, my VIN is forever deemed a menace to the roads, lol. Not in a good way :) So she explained that there is a way around this silly rule. I understand that it protects us from unsafe POS's on the road, but it was my insurance company that saw 20 pictures of some burnt wire and some smoke marks and deemed it unsafe. They wont even let me take it to a professional.

I thought very strongly that there MUST be some way to do paperwork, jump through hoops, ect to get the title to a registerable state. But she was nice enough to show me all of the docs stating that there is no paperwork route to get her back on the road.

THAT'S CRAZY!

Only in Florida!

First of all there is NO state inspection! There are some REAL JUNKERS on the road, missing bumpers, fenders, smashed in doors and HUGE Rust holes, ect! The farther south you go the worse the junkers get.

Good luck with your car, what ever you do, do it quietly ;-)

Guest Anonymous

Just curious who's your insurance company?