• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door seals

Guarionex

Hi everyone. I read before here that there is a ship replacement for the 02 door seals. Does anyone remember this? I think that was at JC WHITNEY. Any ideas?

thanks

Oswaldo

1999 BMW 528i (daily driver)

1976 BMW 2002 (in love with police motorcycle)

1976 BMW 2002 (Auto)

1974 BMW 2002 (donor)

1972 BMW 2002 tii

Hi everyone. I read before here that there is a ship replacement for the 02 door seals. Does anyone remember this? I think that was at JC Penney. Any ideas?

thanks

Oswaldo

If you mean cheap replacement, there was someone who recently posted a JC Whitney part number. That's not the same as JC Pennys.

Oops! Sorry, i dont know what I was thinking. Is not like JC Penney is known for automobile parts. Yeah JC Whitney it is.

thank u for letting me know.

1976 BMW 2002 (Auto)

1974 BMW 2002 (donor)

1972 BMW 2002 tii

It would be cool if Pennys had car parts. Maybe I'd go there sometimes.

I remember when the Sears catologs used to contain car stuff like VW Beetle body kits.

I did a quick search and found the thread I was thinking of, but I think it was a dead end. If you find an alternative part please post it - my door seals are shot, but for the state that my car is in I cannot justify paying for the real (or even after market) ones now. I have other things to worry about before I worry too much about stopping the wind noise from the rear edges of my windows.

thanks Esty. I try to do search before, but for wherever reason never got the right place. I typed "door seals" and i got a whole bunch of unrelated posts. Will try with Autozone, maybe i get something. Of course there is a change that I am doing something wrong when I search. Will see.

gracias

1976 BMW 2002 (Auto)

1974 BMW 2002 (donor)

1972 BMW 2002 tii

I see you're from up here in the rainy NW. The bottom line is that there's just not a WalMart replacement that will do a decent job. There are few things that are just plain expensive on these cars, congrats, you've found one of them.

I may have a used set that's OK to be re-used and might work fairly well, but if it were me, and it will be soon, no compromises here. You need the original part.

The walmart crew may beg to disagree, but hey, try it and end up with a wet shoulder for a week, lemme know what you think after that...

BD

If your seals are totally shot, it's a lot of work to fake something up.

However, on my car, just the window surround was done, so

the JC Whitney's stuff sealed that up. I cut the old seal back a bit rather

than completely removing it.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Guest Anonymous

Go to your local hardware/ heating-insulation/ farm implement supply store and look for 3/4" wide X 1/4" thick adhesive backed CLOSED CELL foam weather stripping. Apply to top/rear edge of door opening all the way down to the floor sill. Trim edges as needed to fit glass........

Mine have lasted through 5 Wisconsin winters as a semi-daily driver.

Thanks everyone. I got the idea. Yes, I finally found all the articles about this topic. Interesting to see both sides: PURISTS VS PRACTICAL. I see the point on both cases. Hopefully wont get my shoulders wet.

gracias

1976 BMW 2002 (Auto)

1974 BMW 2002 (donor)

1972 BMW 2002 tii

Oswaldo,

The only thing I have to say about door seals is they are a bitch to install. I would rather pull an engine from a car then install another set of those. It is essential to get the rubber lip under the frame, a quarter inch at a time.

My upholstery guy later told me that he would have installed them for $50 bucks and I thought I would do him bodily harm :-)

BTW, there are some posts on this board about how to install, but after emailing several folks they later admitted they had never actually installed them on an 02. Urgh. Ignore info about lubricants. Search for my post on this subject.

Mark

Looking for Links of All the door seals??

I have 1/2 of my seal on both doors in excellent shape, but once you hit the rear part of the door its all bad news.

It would be a good FAQ as well.

DIY Door seals vs OEM vs cheaper ones vs kragen

nobody on this side of the fence said anything about walmart...i said autozone...however if walmart had the same stuff i used for cheaper, i'd be standing in line, watching the rest of my redneck friends

it rain's a lot in the midsouth, certainly not like in the pacific NW..but with my cheap, off the shelf, home made, jury rig'd, white trash seals, i've never had a leak....not even hosing her down at the 2bit car wash

i believe there are alternatives available when you don't have a lot of $ to burn...creativity goes a long way in saving a few nickles & dimes

i could have afforded new seals but what i got for $20 does the same thing...i bought 7 new pairs of shoes with what i saved by buying gutter trash

Spoken like a true lady, esty. Hope that doesn't come off as too sexist, 'cause you've been very nice to me in the past.

I've installed 3 OE sets of door seals on my ' 75 in the 28 yrs. I've been driving it and one set on my wife's ' 76, and, IMHO, it's one hell of a lot easier than pullin' an engine. The hard part is getting the old adhesive off - after that it's no biggy.

Bob Napier