4 posts / 959 viewsLast Reply

My engine smells like rotting fish after a run.

It really seems to be coming from the exhaust manifold. I did install a tii manifold that I had used before without experiencing the stench.

I also installed a new heatshiled gasket, which is what I suspect is the odoriferous culprit. But I have installed these before and never got the stink.

I thought that it would burn off, but it is still doing it after a dozen cycles.

Has anyone heard of this before?

Do you own a cat? Have you seen it since the stench started?

Well, since you asked. I had a very strong fishy smell that lasted for probably 2 months. About 7 years ago I was on my way to go salmon fishing. Normally we use salmon roe that we cure ourselves as bait. Well one fine summer morning I dug a bag of roe out of the freezer and being the friggin GENIUS that I am, I figured that I'd just plop the bag of frozen salmon eggs on top of the intake manifold for a couple of miles and then pull over, grab them and they'd be nice and thawed out. Yeahhhh, that works great in theory. In reality, I drove with it cooking on the manifold for about 35 minutes before the first stench hit. I pulled over and opened the hood, the gallon ziplock bag had melted to the head and there were 2 huge slug trails of pink salmon eggs fuzed to the block all the way down to the oil pan. I pressure blasted the motor that evening, but it still stank for a LOOOONG time.

So, have you gone fishing lately??

TK