removal of undercoating

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

At this time my car is being media blasted. All was well , until they started the undercarriage. They say that it is too difficult to remove the undercoating and that I will have to use a heat gun and scapper. Is this true ? or perhaps they don't know the right abrasives to use? Any advise would be helpful. Tanks, Scott

Is this true ?
unfortunately...it's about the only way

There are in fact a few other ways of removing it. You can have the chassis acid dipped and this cleans everything out really well. And there is also liquid nitrogen. I was in fact using this technique yesterday to prep a race car for seam welding. It can be a little time consuming but is still faster and more efficient than a heat gun and scraper. IMHO acid dipping is the way to go if you can afford it and will be taking the car down to nothing anyways.

Use dry ice. The rally community around my area swears by it. I used dry ice a few months ago to remove the stuff on the floor of my 02 and the coating pops right off. Leaves the factory primer, very clean and easy.

Use dry ice. The rally community around my area swears by it. I used dry ice a few months ago to remove the stuff on the floor of my 02 and the coating pops right off. Leaves the factory primer, very clean and easy.

We used to use that but you can actually aim with the liquid nitrogen. The whole operation tends to go a lot more smoothly. The car we were doing yesterday is a Ford Merkur, its is a group 5 rally car. And heres a shot of the action.

post-17102-13667620023211_thumb.jpg

The stuff on the floor is easier to remove than the undercoating because it's laid down in sheets. I've removed the interior tar paper on a few cars and heat works much better. As long as you just warm it, I've used a very small portable heater, heat gun, and hair dryer, it practically peels right off. I also used dry ice and it was nothing but a pain in the ass(compared to heat) because it leaves little bits of residue everywhere.

To the OP, Acid bath or Liquid Nitrogen if you can pay someone to do it. Heat gun if you don't want to spend the money and have free time.