nbristow01

Do I have a seperate heater blower motor?

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

As I dig to find the issue with my heater I have come upon a question. My car was dealer equipped with a Clardy AC system and console. The blower is on the passenger side of the car and easily accessible. I have been using the blower knob on the console to move air.

I noticed I have a lever with Fan on it on the dash along with the heat temp lever

then it dawned on me...do I have a seperate heater blower motor? I ask this because I got my defrost flaps unstuck and they now open and close..but when I open them I still get no air through them. is this because I am using the ac blower when i should be using the heater blower?

Can I see from under the dash if I have a seperate heater blower motor?

the heater fan is outside the car underneath the wiper linkage...the slide switch on the dash controls the heater fan...the a/c fan switch controls the fan in the console to move the cold air for the a/c

Your correct I have a seperate heater motor..no wonder my heat is screwed up DUH on me..fan is frozen, needs replacing...off to the archives I go. I hear it is a sucky job

Douse it with WD-40 and prod it with a screwdriver first. Repeatedly.

Cheers,

Ray

(disclaimer: all disclaimers ever written apply to my posts and to WD-40 use. ;-)

Your correct I have a seperate heater motor..no wonder my heat is screwed up DUH on me..fan is frozen, needs replacing...off to the archives I go. I hear it is a sucky job

Behr (but not Frigiking) wiring is such that when the A/C blower is on, the heater blower wiring is disconnected by the A/C switch. Clardy experts out there...does the Clardy wiring do that too?

If so, that may be your problem.

mike

The Clardy system is arguably a better system, and it doesn't overide the heater fan, it uses a separate switch. If the heater fan switch doesn't activate the heater fan, it's either a wiring issue or the heater fan is kaput.

Not such an ugly job, but intense, you need to remove the heater box.

Measure this to my 240Z where the heater core needs to be cut out of the box and you see why I say it's not that bad.

Just completed this repair in Nov. All I can say is remove everything you can under the dash to make removing/replacing the box more easy, suggest KY Jelly to make the cost of the new blower motor easier on you and just be done with it.

Cheers!