• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5spd clutch slave cylinder

gwb72tii

i've read in the searches i've done the bleed screw is supposed to be oriented downwards, which makes no sense to me but........

with the new clutch hose i had made up, its much easier to reverse the orientation of the bleed screw to the top (rotate the slave cylinder 180*). this is because the inlet to the slave cylinder is canted to the right which then causes an interference with my new hose and the side of the tranny

anyone know of any issues with re-orienting the bleed screw to the top position?

TIA

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

Maybe you can try leaving it where it is and then bleeding using a length of tubing which bleeds out at a hight greated than that of the cylinder. The air should come out, no?

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin

Internal drilling. It won't bleed. Homework needed rather than just asking the next guy in the line at McDonalds.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Ok, I'll volunteer to be "the guy in line at McDonalds."

I'd bet that using a Gunnison EZ Bleed (my preferred method) which pressurizes the reservoir, it'd bleed just fine.

That having been said, I think you'll regret doing it, as I think that the clearance needed to get that 7mm wrench around the bleed nipple and to loosen and tighten it will leave you swearing a blue streak, if it's even reachable at all.

I'll go wait for my quarter pounder now.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Internal drilling. It won't bleed. Homework needed rather than just asking the next guy in the line at McDonalds.

thanks as i did my "homework" before i posted this silly question

appreciate you taking the time to type out your answer

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

Make mine a Big Mac with extra of that special sauce.

It's drilled so that, with the bleeder DOWN, the bleed port pulls

fluid (and air, if there is any) from the TOP of the cylinder.

If you invert it, you let a big bubble of air sit up there.

You can use any kind of bleeding tool you want.

If you can convince fluid to go back UP the inlet hose,

that would bleed it if it was upside down. Otherwise, you will be clutchless.

ow. my spleen.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Maybe you did some homework, but it was in the outhouse and you flunked the test. Buy an e21 book if you want to use e21 parts. Page 86 of the Haynes manual will do it.

BTW who the hell wants a bleeder screw pointed up into the tunnel where it cant be gotten to. Where is your logic, man. You doubted the original design, being smarter than the designers and then asked a stupid question and got a stupid answer. Back to McDonalds

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Maybe you did some homework, but it was in the outhouse and you flunked the test. Buy an e21 book if you want to use e21 parts. Page 86 of the Haynes manual will do it.

BTW who the hell wants a bleeder screw pointed up into the tunnel where it cant be gotten to. Where is your logic, man. You doubted the original design, being smarter than the designers and then asked a stupid question and got a stupid answer. Back to McDonalds

gee, silly me

i thought this was the section of the forum where we can draw on each other's knowledge without running into someone like you

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”