Sign in to follow this  
cityfrontsailor

Looking to buy

9 posts / 1671 viewsLast Reply

hey,

I am looking to buy a cheap 2002 in the next couple of months for a summer project. I have a tight (student) budget, around $1,000 if it is running and less if it is not. I would prefer a car that is 1975 or older so I don't have to deal with smog. The condition of the interior is not important, as long as it has two front seats, and a working dash. Obviously the less rust the better. Send or post some photos if you have anything available in the next couple of months in northern California. Thanks.

How rusty is too rusty to drive?

the rear shock towers are the first place to look to see how badly the body has rusted. check the rockers, the roof (especially if it's a sunroof car), wheel wells, spare tire well, and just use some common sense about the amount of rot in the body of the car. rust repair will be way more expensive than any mechanical repair you might have to make to the car.

Keep your eyes open on craigslist! There have been some really good deals lately! I got a pair of roundy's last year for a summer project for $1200. Im a student too and I know what its like to be on a budget. There's a web sight called searchtempest.com. It allows you to search all craigslist's in the country at one time. It makes things a shit load easier! You really gotta be on it like every few hours though because there's a tone of guys that look for these things constantly! If you dont reply to a post on craigslist withing 30min its usually gone already if it was a good deal. Gotta get lucky!!! Any way good luck with the hunt...

Rocco

Everyone has an E30. I want a carbonated, simple motor that I can work on. Possibly do a cheap and dirty do-it-yourself rebuild. I guess tops I could do $2,000, but I am kinda looking for a car that needs more TLC.

Carbonated haha. jk man. Restoring a car on a student budget is not easy, believe me I know, but keep your eyes peeled and you'll find something that fits. You've still got a couple months before summer, so I'm sure something will pop up.

Best of luck,

Mark