andyleonard

1976 2002 California Smog-Exhaust Manifold

7 posts / 1544 viewsLast Reply

O.K. Stock exhaust manifold is cracked bigtime at the flange. Makes a hell of a racket. Car needs to be smogged. We all know it will spend it's life with a Tii exhaust manifold or headers, but what do I do from here to get it smogged?

I'm assuming it will fail because of the noise and leak. If it didn't make noise would it pass smog? Do they actually test anything on a 76 2002? Or is it a visual inspection and a cursory sniff test. Car runs fine and has a Weber. Has always passed smog before. Suggestions please.

Mike, I have had miserable luck welding 40 year old iron that's full of carbon. I always get a crack next to the weld about 2 weeks later. Any tricks you want to share? I know about preheating, pinning the crack ends, nickel rod, burying in sand for cool down, etc. Something new out there?

I actually had one welded for my '75 530i when it had a problem. It welded up well. I did not do the welding, but a friend did it with few issues. Just use a good wire feed (MIG) welder with good heat control.

Even if it lasts a couple of weeks, that is long enough to get it past smog. I remember mine lasting for years until I sold it.

the thermal reactor version) I think I've got a spare that came with a smog motor I got years ago. Let me know if you need it - I'm in Sacramento............

I have a spare as well as other smog stuff. Email me if Barry doesn't have one you need.

mrbdooley@gmail.com

I have a spare as well as other smog stuff. Email me if Barry doesn't have one you need.

mrbdooley@gmail.com

Not to hijack, but to hijack this thread.

I am interested in the SMOG stuff.

What do you have?

Can you post an image here or email me conkitchen@aol.com

Thanks.