mike

Why you need to be careful messing with gas, and especially

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Using a welding torch on a gas tank is sorta like pulling the pin on a hand grenade, letting go of the handle, then wondering what to do next.

Bob Napier

I had an old timer explain to me how he welded on a gas tanks once. Use some putty or something to stop the leak temporarily, add a metal extension to the filler neck, fill the tank all of the way up with gas, light a match to the top of the extension and weld away. He says the filler neck belches some big flames. I know it sounds impossible to live through such an attempt. After seeing some of the other insane and dangerous things the old timer and his family had done to cars I actually believe he has done it. I won't be trying it nor would I recoment it.

Some years ago a tech was working on a car at the Volvo dealer in Berkeley, CA. The car ran out of gas, and he was trying to start it by squirting some gas down the carb throat. That caught fire, and soon the engine bay was engulfed. Before it was over, most of the building and most of the cars inside were destroyed.

A friend did a similar thing in his carport. Fortunately, the fire department arrived in time to save the house.

Be careful around carbs and gas tanks. Park the car outside away from buildings when doing that work.