nbristow01

shifter boot mounting advice

7 posts / 968 viewsLast Reply

I have a 74 02. has a center console. Console constantly moves all over when I shift. I have retightned and tried to fix it over and over...I really don't even want it. I prefer the shifter boot mounted directly to the tunnel.

Anyone sell a boot and mounting kit to mount it directly to the floor? I have seen a few cars with the sfiter boots mounted this way witha chrome ring that screws to the trans tunnel.

Right now I have a square shifter boot

i can make you one for $25.00 ship'd

Is your shifter sloppy by chance? Does it pop out of gear mainly second?

You might need a shifter rebuild or find as I did that you are missing or have a loose bolt on the shifter platform underneath causing the console to move as the shifter is not the tight pattern it should be.

Do you have the cross brace that goes beneath the shifter surround? whitout it in place and properly screwed to the tranny tunnel the console will move with every shift. with it, and the upper securing strap on the passenger side the console should be rock solid.

bob

Mine only has a smallbracketatthe rear of the console, and it is not secured to anything. I wish to do away with the console. I have found quite a few shifter boot and boot mounts on Jegs

I bought a rectangular shifter boot at autozone that came with surrounding piece for around fifteen bucks. Just screwed the sucker into the tunnel, looks and works fine.