florida2002m3

Engine on fire

11 posts / 1963 viewsLast Reply

So i tried to repair my carter fuel pump, The repair was fine but for some reason the pressure it created dislodged the float in my weber. So fuel spilled out all over the engine bay and it burst into flames. I used up my one fire extinguisher and still had to grab the garden hose to put out the 10-15 foot flames.

I know i can fix her up in the engine bay. My knowledge stops there. I foresee that my main problem is not the fire but the water, i got alot of water in the carb. Are there any tricks to curing this. The engine was not running. My plan is to pull off the carb, manifold, change the oil then see if she will turn over.

What do you think the best method to deal with this is?

Thanks for any advice

Might also have a lot of wiring to replace as well. Good luck.

Bob Napier

Hi,

remove the spark plugs before any engine

movement. crank the motor over to blow any

fluid out of the cylinders. if enough water

entered a cylinder a connecting rod can bend.

you don't have to take off the carb.

get a fuel pressure regulator and put it after the

fuel pump.you should restart the motor as

soon as possible and run untill fully hot to burn

off any water for 30 minutes. you can make a

quick electrical circuit to start and run the motor.

fix the carb so that the float doesn't stick in the

open spot.

good luck

stone

The fire extinguishing powdwer corrodes everything unless you were using halon.... Clean everything and buy a lottery ticket. You may not think so now but you were very LUCKY......People lose garages and homes with the same circumstances.

I wont really have time to do anything besides pull the plugs out and crank it until saturday morning. Is that too long to wait. The only wiring that melted was the wiring that i did, didnt use high temp insulation. So it shouldnt be too hard to wire up again. Cant bend the rods if the plugs are out, correct? What about changing oil? I have used this same pump for about 6 months without any pressure problems, could it be something else that caused fuel to pour out of the sides?

So procedure:

1. take out plugs

2. crank engine for a minute or so

3. put plugs back in

3.5 repair carb

3.75 pressure regulator at 3.5 lbs

4. start engine

5 let her warm up to get rid of any other water

5.5 seal up carb and rinse engine bay/winshield/hood/roomates car

6. have a beer and buy a lottery ticket

Luckily the car was not in the garage, i dont like doing fuel work inside, vapors make me loopy. Never even considered the worse:fire.

Thanks guys

things to do:

1. as stated, remove the spark plugs

2. squirt some thin oil (or even [gasp] WD40) into the cylinders and turn the engine over either by hand or with the starter motor.

3. Pull the valve cover and make sure no water got in the valve/cam compartment; if so, squirt oil in there too--pull the dizzy cap and dry the insides if there's water inside. (don't use oil here)

You want to coat the cylinder walls with oil so the rings won't rust to the cylinders--and yes that can happen almost overnight.

I had an outboard motor get drowned in salt water from a hurricane storm surge...soon as the water receded I did the above until I could get it home. Then I mopped the last bit of water from the cylinders with a rag on a screwdriver (thru the spark plug holes), got it going on ether and then on gas, and let it run for a half hour in a water-filled trash can. That was in 2005 and it's still running fine.

One more thing: if the fire burned the paint off your hood, coat the burned metal with oil or something to keep it from rusting further. You may have to have the part either dipped or sandblasted. It's a real PITA to restore burned sheet metal--you've gotta get absolutely ALL the fire-induced rust off.

cheers, and good luck

mike

That looks exactly right to me.

I'd actually turn on the pump before I tried to start it-

it might be a sunk float, bad float valve, bit of crap lodged in

the valve, etc. If you don't start, fuel's unlikely to catch fire.

t

Yeah i agree, im gonna pull it apart and hopefully it is something as simple as a float problem and not a pressure problem as ive used this pump for 6 months with no problems.

SO i got talked into calling progressive. Just after talking on the phone, the rep who is handling my claim said that 9.9/10 times they total a car that has had any fire. The next option after a total is a rebuilt title, so i can take their money and fix it, or a title that makes it only usable as parts or track (not street legal)

He said that the decision to the type of title is made by the state of florida. Does anyone have any experience/advice with this? My main reason for calling insurance is to get some $$ for repairs. But if they are going to deem it not road worthy.... then i wont take a dime.

Interesting part, and i had to ask him to say the value again. I told them i wanted it insured for $5K. Which i thought was generous. He said that the NADA value that they have on record is $11K. I am blown away, for 11K i could go out and buy a M2. If i only knew before this happened :)

...err... the little bit of 2nd hand experience I've had with car fires is

that they didn't let my friend buy the car back. It was a mess, so he didn't

mind... (X5's apparently had a flambe' problem in the early years)

t

There is really no sign of damage besides a few melted wires.

The insurance company options:

1. Give me $5050 and take the car away.

2. Give me $3750 and let me keep the car with a certificate of destruction.

Option 1 is out of the, there is no way she is going to the junk yard.

So for me to get any money at all i can never drive the car again.

Is there a way to get the certificate of destruction reversed?

My insurance rep said that florida is pretty strict with their titles.