• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My aspirations for the 76, 2002

kota02

Hello All,

This forum is great and I am in the soak up the knowledge mode right now.

I have gone through pretty much all the FAQs, and it is an immense help.

Here are few of the things I would like to accomplish with my car.

I have one question before I start on the list.

When I start the car, there is always air blowing through the vents, I have turned all the switches off, but it still blows air. Any ideas?

Adjust the Valves, the clatter is cool initially but would like to fix it.

Replace the hood closure bar grommet, it rattles on the passenger side because of that.

Fix the door lock, passenger side seems to not like the keyless entry system, and gets stuck half the time.

When I do this, the follwoing will get takes care of as well:

-Refurbished door panel backing and I intend to make a custom strip for the base of the door, so that the panel stays secured for a longer duration.

-Better drainage for the water that gets inside the door, and creates optimum conditions for rust.

- Service the window regulator, so that they work a little smoother.

Second stage

- fix the rusted out floor pans. It is not too bad right now, but I would like it to not get any worse, and really scrape it clean, patch the holes, read this forum for some effective underside coating.

-While I am at it, also get a layer of sound insulation material for the inside, underneath the carpet. Fortunately the carpet is in pretty good state.

-Also fix the rusted out spare wheel tub.

Third Stage

-Take care of the gas smell inside the car, I am still reading on this topic. As the previous owner did replace the rubber tube that goes from the gas tank to the engine.

I might also go for the hood insulation panels, I am not so sure right now, because I would like to install them only if they effectively improve the noise levels.

The front air dam is sort of hanging, would like to use a POP rivet gun to secure it with some VHB tape and rivets, and paint it to match the "Verona"

The car is equipped with AC, I think I would like to get rid of it altogether. In Blacksburg, I do not really need AC, just heater is good.

Lastly, The car has some rust spots along the belt line, that have been treated and then touched up with a brush. The color is matched but one can still see the brush strokes, so in the very end, I would like to go over all those areas, and make the match color and finish.

Will start on the list this weekend, and keep you all posted.

Please allow me to welcome you with a heartfelt "Go Hokies!"

I also own a 1976 Verona, and am in the process of cleaning, restoring, replacing or upgrading many of the parts. I've learned a lot by reading the FAQ daily, and have a long list of things to do this year and next. (When I say long, I mean frikkin crazy long, like every weekend and evening for the next 18 months. I'll be lucky if I can get the car drivable by this summer.)

Best of luck with your project!

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

It shouldn't be running all the time. The blower switch is the lever just above the temp control lever to the steering column's right. The switch itself may be messed up. Peer under the dash and take a look. The contacts are right out in the open, so it'll be easy to see if they're positioned correctly.

If your car has a Behr A/C unit, the A/C is wired so that the heater blower won't work if the A/C is switched on. It's possible that a PO couldn't find the correct A/C blower switch and had to jury rig something, resulting in a constantly on heater blower. When you remove the A/C, be sure and get a Behr A/C wiring diagram (someone on the board has one) that'll show you how to reposition the heater blower wires so it'll work properly.

cheers, and welcome to the madness. An '02 will either keep you out of the bars for a long time while you fix it all up, or it'll drive you to drinkin'. Either way, you'll have fun.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Welcome! Working hard to complete my restoration myself. Unless minor, I would encourage you to prioritize your work in this order--especially if this is your daily driver!

1. Safety issues

2. Reliability & Maintenance

3. Nuisance issues

4. Enhancements

5. Aesthetics

I had to put new brakes on my car even though I thought I wanted to upgrade to big brakes. This was a safety issue. Putting off getting big brakes until the next time I needed new brakes is reasonable. BUT if my car had a performance engine in it with dual carbs and a lot more power than my stock automatic I would say big brakes were no longer an enhancement, but a safety issue since I now have significantly more power than the stock brakes were meant to handle.

Using your examples, you door lock problem will probably cost you less than $20 bucks to fix. Use the money you were going to use on a keyless entry system to change out your old hoses and belts.

Your continuous running fan is a safety issue not a nuisance issue.

Just my two cents. Enjoy!

Thanks a lot for the Tips.

I bought the Car from Matt in Charlotte, who was using it for past two years as his DD. It has the following done to it in not so long ago.

New Tires - 195-50-14

New brake pads

Newer radiator

New ignition coil and wires

It has electronic choke, the car starts no matter how cold it is, which is a really good thing in Blacksburg.

The heater core has been professionally repaired.

The PO installed the Key less entry system, and that is the reason I want the locks to be smooth.

The only issues with the car are body related, and I do not want those to get any worse, as I do not have a garage.

On that note, I am working on a quick setup waterproof canopy for "verona"

... I would encourage you to prioritize your work in this order--especially if this is your daily driver!

1. Safety issues

2. Reliability & Maintenance

3. Nuisance issues

4. Enhancements

5. Aesthetics

I had to put new brakes on my car even though I thought I wanted to upgrade to big brakes. This was a safety issue. Putting off getting big brakes until the next time I needed new brakes is reasonable. BUT if my car had a performance engine in it with dual carbs and a lot more power than my stock automatic I would say big brakes were no longer an enhancement, but a safety issue since I now have significantly more power than the stock brakes were meant to handle...

Just my two cents. Enjoy!

Not to put too fine a point on it, because I totally agree with the way you have prioritized the upgrading of a car, but more power does not justify the need for bigger brakes - this is a common misconception, continually fueled by brake part manufacturers and sellers.

If you have a 2,000 lb., 100HP, car which stops in 120' from 60MPH, and you add another 100 HP (assuming the weight stays the same, or near same), your brakes are still going to stop you in that same 120'. The additional HP will get you to 60MPH more quickly, but doesn't increase the forces acting on the brakes.

The only justification for bigger brakes is if you change the way you drive, such as tracking or AXing the car where the bralkes are worked more. Even then, you don't increase the stopping power, per se, rather you dissipate heat more quickly/efficiently and prevent or reduce fading of the brakes. Most of the big brake upgrades out there are done mainly for bragging rights and their placebo effect. Putting on my kevlar for the expected opposition...

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

I just got back from Greg2002's house, and I think I have all my stars lined up perfectly.

He is either doing everything that I have always wanted to do, or is going to start on it in the near future.

Bad News first.

I need to patch the floor pans on both sides, and the slave cylinder is leaking in the Pedal box.

I think I have the resources, in terms of friends who will be able to help me with pretty much all that I need to take care, but we shall see and you all will be kept updated.

The sub frame needs some patching as well, and I think I will be able to take care of that as well.

Besides those two immediate tasks, I think I have a pretty neat little roadworthy car. In the past ten days that I have had the car, I must have driven it at least 500 miles, and its doing good so far.

I am in the research mode right now, and will lay out the plans to patch things up soon.

Thanks a lot Greg.