jp02ti

rocker cover vent block?

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

what would the symptoms be if the rocker cover breather was not flowing enough? I suspect mine may have been blocked. it was spewing oil from between the head and block and was running poorly. could this in part be caused by a blocked breather? not fully blocked, but certainly not an open line.

thoughts?

Jon

You can just blow into it to see if it's blocked. Careful it may blow back at you.

Guest Anonymous

Mine had been blocked for years, car ran fine but oil leaks were noticable everywhere as I though it was just old gaskets, etc. I guess your car could show poor running symptoms also. Another clue was the vapor hose at the carb end was pretty clean. With an open vent, signs of oil residue would more prevalent. Carb cleaner should free it up.

I thought it was the head gasket too. however, i pulled of the head and can see nothing on the head gasket to indicate it was bad. i also suspected the lower timing cover might not be seated properly, causing the head front end to rest up a bit leaving a slight gap, but this is not the case either.

when i started looking at other potential causes the breather hose was a possible problem. i have a filter on the line, and while it does flow, it was not flowing without restriction.