Codfish

Do urethane endlinks use the same bolt ?

10 posts / 1134 viewsLast Reply

I have stock bolts, and I am trying to use urethane end link bushings. I noticed that they are bigger than the rubber ones...

Am I installing them wrong or do I need longer bolts ???

Thanx in advance

Do you have the front of the car up in the air (on stands)?

If so, you'll have one heck of a time getting the end link bolts installed.

Lower the car, then install the links (or use ramps).

It all depends in which urethane bushings you have there. Some are designed as direct fit with 8mm holes through them etc... while others have big American holes.... and are too tall to fit the stock length bolt. I have brought a bolt and rubber bushing setup to the parts store and asked for either bushings to fit or a complete bushing/bolt/washer kit that'll work.

I also agree with Jim that it can be difficult to install the front end link bushings while the suspension is at full droop. You want to snug them down while the suspension is loaded anyway.

HTH

and a trick for installing the end links with the car on stands...put a jack under the end of the control arm and gently jack it up to compress the suspension spring. Then you can get the nut on the end link bolt without a lot of trauma or having to contort yourself under the car while it's on the ground...

mike

Did anyone mention to install the bolt with the threads up (to keep the threads from getting messed up)?

Here is what I got. The urethane is bigger than the rubber. I think I need a longer bolt to make this happen.

ezocqd.jpg

The stock ones connect fine...Now I have come to the conclusion that I will need longer bolts...

2hgfpmv.jpg

The stock ones connect fine...Now I have come to the conclusion that I will need longer bolts...

2hgfpmv.jpg

As per the manual etc., you have the "cup" washers upside down.

As per the manual etc., you have the "cup" washers upside down.

Thank you... That was clearly my mistake, the urethane fit fine.

Picture worth a 1000 words huh...