florida2002m3

Problem with Carter pump.

6 posts / 739 viewsLast Reply

A few months back my mechanical fuel pump died. So i replaced it with the highly recommended Carter fuel pump $80. I assumed it would be one of the highest quality pumps on the market, about twice the price of the cheaper autozone pumps.

It died on me on sunday, luckily within 100 yards of an autozone. replaced with a $45 pump and two new filters (tried just the filters first). She started right up and has been good since then.

I found that Carter has a 1 year warranty, but it is ridiculous to cash in on, they request the original box plus some other random stuff.

Has anyone else shared in this experience?

Have a filter before the pump?

They're vane- style pumps so any bit o' shit can stop 'em dead.

Pop the top off and take a look

Careful- the vanes fall out easily.

t

Often, yes, just clean out the vanes and reassemble.

But if it's chewed up the housing, then it's done.

The Holley (same design, but it comes apart further) can

be completely rebuilt. I don't know if you can get Carter parts,

and the motor's crimped to the cast housing.

hth

t

I never liked electric fuel pumps with carbed '02s...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,294242/

But if you must, I'd use the Pierburg one. Can't beat German quality.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,307681/highlight,pierburg/

HTH

So i decided to try and clean the pump, put it back together. started her up, fuel filled the filters, she ran for about a minute then fuel flowed out of the side of the carb filled my engine bay and caught on fire. 15 foot flames, used up one extinguisher to put it out plus the hose. Now im rather in shock as this happened 30 minutes ago. I really hope they do not total my car....... Im going to take a closer look at her tomorrow in the light. If its bad im gonna call progressive. I have it covered for $5K. How do appraisers judge the damage on these old cars?? DO they just see it and say totaled???

I also got alot of water in the carb. How do i handle this? IS the head a gonner?

Wow i feel like i lost a child!!! Just about in tears :(