Sign in to follow this  
fiftytakedowns

Starter Works, but the Key isn't working

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Pretty self explanitory,

came home after a week of school, starter wouldnt work when I turned the key.

However, when I jumpered the battery cable to the bottom plug on the Starter, it turned over just fine.

What does the connector on the top of the starter hook up to? I never had it connected, but it would always work anyway.

Are you getting dash lights when you turn the key. It could be the back of the plug on the rear of the where you put the key. If it isnt making contact then it will not trigger the starter.

The top wire on the solenoid should be going to the ignition switch. This triggers the starter. Try to check if you are getting voltage(should be +12V) when you turn the key all the way to start. There is another wire on the solenoid that goes to the coil, but if you are not using ballast resistor on the coil then this should be taken off. Hope this helps.

Guest Anonymous
Pretty self explan[a]tory,

came home after a week of school, starter wouldnt work when I turned the key.

However, when I jumpered the battery cable to the bottom plug on the Starter, it turned over just fine.

What does the connector on the top of the starter hook up to? I never had it connected, but it would always work anyway.

what does coming home after a week of school have to do with the problem?

If the wiring is all in order look back a week or so and there was a thread on the 74's seat belt interlock system it may well be that the interlock relay has gone T.U.