themoose

For the MS crowd: Fuel Pump issues?

7 posts / 681 viewsLast Reply

Here's what's happening:

Starts fine, drive along and just randomly dies. Cycle power, always hear the fuel pump relay click but lately I don't hear the pump whine every time like I normally do. At first I thought it was the filters clogging, so I changed them. It ran around the block a few times with no problems and then this morning it died less than 50 yards from my house. Should I change out the pump? Any help would be appreciated!

Guest Anonymous

I had a similar, not identical, issue and it turned out the MS ecu was not adequately grounding. Try running a jumper from the ecu to a known good ground and see if that helps. Otherwise diyauto directed me to a particular transistor, I think Q2.

If you don't want to check the fuel pressure, temporarily install a switch that bypasses the fuel pump relay and turn it on when the problem occurs.

You should also use a Ford Inertial switch in the circuit that goes to the fuel pump. Ford started putting these on most all FI cars after they had the Pinto "incident". The switch is NC and opens on impact. About $2 at your local boneyard

Regards,

John N

If you don't want to check the fuel pressure, temporarily install a switch that bypasses the fuel pump relay and turn it on when the problem occurs.

Moose, the above suggestion is a good one. Grover had a problem with his ECU, it would not activate the fuel pump relay. You may want to try this and if it works, you might have the same problem. I'm not sure what he did to fix it.

Many thanks for all the suggestions, I've got a lot of work ahead of me! Hopefully I can get it done tonight.