Sign in to follow this  
72Golf

Self-locking nuts = Nylock nuts?

6 posts / 974 viewsLast Reply

When i rebuilt my front subframe last year, all of the "self-locking nuts" I received from Maximillian were actually Nylock nuts. I don't think Nylocks were around 37 years ago so BMW must have used a different nut, probably those eliptical type like the manifold flange nuts.

Anyhow, I'm now replacing the halfshaft/axle bolts and wondering if Nylocks are what I'm going to get from Max/RealOEM or what. I have plenty of free Nylocks at work or are those BMW Nylocks super special?

I beleive the modern nylocks and the old school pinch nuts are considered pretty much interchangable, although it seems to me that the old kind might offer a stronger hold. In either case, you're not supposed them more than once though many do.

I have had success buying "real" pinch nuts at an Ace or other good hardware store.

Fritz,

Yes Nylocks were inded being used in 1971 for sure. They were used all over the place in submarines.

BMW used them for sure on the guibo bolts for the nuts. Not used in high temperature applications though.

I ordered some from Pelican when I ordered a bunch of stuff (for the guibo, specifically). I'm not a fan of Nyloc, so I got these instead.

P/n

07-12-9-964-672-M9

They call it a lock nut.

Maryland Metrics has tons of technical info, including a section "Securing against loosening" that covers nuts as well as glues: http://mdmetric.com/fastindx/inxtst.htm. They also sell the different type of locking nuts although in quantity. Awesome store.