cjreents

Turn Signal Stalk ('71)

8 posts / 1117 viewsLast Reply

I've got a 71 with the turn signal on the left side of the steering wheel. Recently, the stalk fails to stay in place when pushing up for a right-hand turn - it still works, just won't stay in place. Pushing down for the left-hand turn still works fine.

Any suggestions on a fix for this? Or am I in need of a new stalk?

Thanks,

Chris

Every 71 turn signal that I have seen is on the right side. This means that some one moved it to the opposite side. There is a cam behind the the steering wheel that actuates the return. My guess is that the cam is not centered properly. Remove the steering wheel and check the cam. G

Thanks for the reply... I'll dig in and see what I can find.

BTW: The previous owner updated the car with intermittent wipers which reside on the right hand side of the wheel.

pressed into the back of the steering wheel, it's probably the turn signal lever mechanism is worn to the point where it won't stay in position when you move it to signal for a turn.

You might be able to repair that with a little time and a Dremel tool or small rattail file.

I did a column on this repair; drop me an e-mail if this turns out to be the problem with yours and I'll send you a copy.

BTW, a PO did mess with your car, as no roundies have a turn signal on the left side of the steering column. That didn't happen until 1974.

cheers

mike

If you run into any problems, I live just SE of Tualatin. Give me a call (503) 730-9673. G

IF all else fails and you need another replacement I have one that I was planning to sell. Let me know If you need it.

Thanks

Chris

Cool, thanks guys. It may be a few days before I get a chance to dig into this. But if I need help or a new stalk, I'll let you know.