JUMPNYC

Finally got the 2002 out of jail!!

16 posts / 1557 viewsLast Reply

After sitting for a few months outdoors in a NYC parking lot with a blown tranny, I finally got the 02 out to my friends house so I can get it back to being roadworthy! Thanks to Matt McGinn from Sports Car Restorations for the donor automatic trans! Just figured I would share some pics of this project for the springtime!

P1010019.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010017.jpg

P1010010.jpg

another Automatic !!

keep it like that, they are fun too !!

i am tearing apart a spare 3HP12 to fix a weird behaviours on mine, if you need info let me know !!

if yours has oil cooler for auto trans plz post pictures of the hose routing...

Oh I think I will keep the automatic transmission theme going so my wife can drive it (she does not drive stick and I want her to enjoy the classic too!)

I will look for the oil cooler hose routing and take pics, if it has it the cooler as soon as I get it on stands!

Please take pics of the tear down of your spare 3HP12. I love to hear technical info!

Thanks!

Oh I think I will keep the automatic transmission theme going so my wife can drive it (she does not drive stick and I want her to enjoy the classic too!)

I will look for the oil cooler hose routing and take pics, if it has it the cooler as soon as I get it on stands!

Please take pics of the tear down of your spare 3HP12. I love to hear technical info!

Thanks!

yes i am actualing taking tons of pictures because the factory FSM realy lack of good pictures and detailed information (spring lenght in the valve body, position of the shutter valves and their hole diameter,...). My goal is to gather all info possible and put it into my existing FAQ article.

Mine is experiencing a weird behaviour, there is no kick-down from 2-1, but from 3 to 1 only, and it shift 1-2 way too soon, no matter how the kick-down cable is adjusted. Either a stuck governor valve or a broken spring in the 1-2 shift valve.

The one i am taking apart seems in PERFECT condition, i should have had it just swaped in the car. it is also surprisingly simple inside. As long as they have clean oil and dont overheat, they should last forever.

For the oil lines, they are visible mostly from under the hood. I am looking to see its routing under the battery tray and near the pedal box, under the brake booster, again from under the hood. There is supposedely a braket bolted to the side of the motor/bell housing too.

Thanks !

picture of mine...

post-119-13667619481034_thumb.jpg

Hey, do you live over in redhook? I remember seeing a blue square tail parked on the street over there...

Yup! I believe the previous owner used to park it over there.

Hey, do you live over in redhook? I remember seeing a blue square tail parked on the street over there...

Guest Anonymous

JUMPNYC,

How much did you buy your 02 for? The reason ask is because i may pick one up...it is an automatic and i have been having trouble finding prices for auto. 02's. If you dont want to post the price here is my email.

[email protected]

Thanks

Matt

500 bucks from a good friend (also a BMW enthusiast this was his first car and his baby) who had me promise to take care of it! I got lucky!

The engine has like 20,000 miles on it since a rebuild 2yrs ago, new radiator, rear shock towers redone recently. Interior is in great shape!

Plans for it...

New rocker panels, swap the driver side door, fix the rust. The previous owner also gave me a brake kit for the rears I will put on. Sand primer and paint, and take it to the beach this summer. Find a roof rack for it so I can get a surfboard. Put my spare E30 BBS 14" rims on it. If I get some cash collect the parts for a future manual swap (when wifey learns to drive stick). Nothing crazy on the 2002 besides working out the bugs, give it some TLC and make it look pretty and try to keep the rust at bay. Hopefully I will do a engine swap on my E30 this summer so most of my funds will go towards that.

I didn't post pics of the rust problems yet, so here they come!

P1010003.jpg

P1010001.jpg

He gave me a spare door with the car, im going to primer it as soon as the weather gets a little warmer.

P1010011.jpg

If you tell me where to find the color code I will let you know!

Until then I call it faded baby blue.