Sign in to follow this  
rock141b

Top Dead Center 2002 4cyl

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Question: I removed the head and had it all redone, valves cam seals etc. I removed the engine to clean it etc. the #1 cyl was on TDC when everything was removed and all lines/marks lined up. When the engine was the stand the crank was turned a few times (dont ask) so now how do I know when #1 is now on the compression stroke or does it matter. The head is all set up valves adjusted and set as it was when taken off the engine. You and spind the crank around but how do I know what would be the compression stroke? Do I just put the head back on and find it that way or? any help or am I making this to difficult, thanks.

A motor is at TDC when the #1 cylinder is at top dead center. Roughly, there is a mark on the front pulley that should get you close. I think the stock cam has a mark by the cam gear that should be centered at TDC.

A motor is at TDC when the #1 cylinder is at it's highest point and the intake and exhaust valves are closed.

John

Thanks for the reply John, I was making the whole thing to complicated, maybe working to long had to step away. I have the head all set up for #1 both valves closed, the #1 piston is at the top of the stroke so all should be good, thanks again.

Yup- tdc is when #1 is at the top, that's all there is to it.

tdc for the cam is when it's on the mark. (#1 should be all closed up, too, just to be sure)

Then you're set!

t