jrhone

Need Tires for my 14" wheels...Dunlop or Toyo or ????

10 posts / 1301 viewsLast Reply

I need a set f tires....I am planning on getting a set of 195/55/14's to go on my 14" BBS RZ rims. I found 2. Toyo T1R's and Dunlop SP800's. Price is about the same...I am most concerned about handling and tire noise. Dont do a huge amount of freeway driving, but a bit...a weekend canyon run isnt out of the question. Just wanted to know if anyone had experiences or opinions on which way to go. Any other options I should consider? Thanks!

reviews? Some of the reviews should be taken with at least a grain of salt (or even a whole shaker-full) but you should get an idea of their performance...

cheers

mike

I put Sumitomos on my tii a couple of years ago and they have been just fine.

They are all-season tires. Yeah, I know the guys that live in the snow belt say only snow tires will do, and the guys in sunny climes will say only R compounds will do for carving up the smooth, dry roads, but...take a look at my avatar. These tires have seen some light snow, lots of rain, some dirt, some gravel, water crossings, rough asphalt, freeway miles, daily commuting, etc...

They have held up just fine. They have(had) enough tread to work OK in the rain and loose stuff. In the dry, they are predictable. Sure, they don't grip like R's, but when was the last time you ran your R's through the snow and gravel and back down the dry canyon road?

As was said, any new tires will feel better than old tires. If you are not getting specialty tires, then just spend mid-range and you should be fine.

The T1Rs are good street tires. SP8000s are the same caliber, but didn't they stop making them in 14" sizes years ago? Make sure you check the manufacture date before purchasing these.

Like numerous people on this board I run Falken Azenis 195/60 x 14s. Not a high milage tire, but I like them a lot. I'm on my 2nd set. A 60 series tire is only 3/8" taller from the rim to the face of the tread than a 55 series. Falkens are available from Vulcan Tire.

Bob Napier

Go with 195/60-14, I ran them for years with no problems on my 14" E30 wheels (bottlecaps and basketweaves) before I upgraded to 15" wheels.

The best tire I had in this size was a Fulda Y-2000 before Fulda dropped out of the US market. Bridgestone G-009 was the second best. Bridgestone's replacement for the G-009, the G019 doesn't come in a 14" size. You'll quickly discover, decent performance 14" tires are going the way of the dinosaur. They are still out there, they are just getting harder to find. If you still have stock 13" wheels, good luck finding any performance tire in a stock size. Just do a search on H rated 195/60-14 tires on the tire rack website.

G-Man