• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 redux

Ian

no m2's are ordinary! :-)

we need an m2 section at vintage next year. there were three this year, but i didn't find the other two until the end and couldn't find the owners for a group shot.

ian...nice tools but more CAR! :-)

2xM3

Well ok. But I've no track stuff or coilovers or camber plates (but I do have bent struts!). Or strut brace.

I need to follow Marshall into the wb closed circle!

http://board.s14power.com/showthread.php?t=5631

Cheers,

Ray

I'm bringing mine next year, so I can be humbled by all the ones that make mine look ordinary! ;-)

Ray, I don't think we can call any M2 with a 2.5 and alpha-N "ordinary".

Besides, yours currently runs...

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I saw Bob Thomas and his M2 there again. Bob's on the Faq (hi Bob!). Which was the other M2 present??

Cheers,

Ray

no m2's are ordinary! :-)

we need an m2 section at vintage next year. there were three this year, but i didn't find the other two until the end and couldn't find the owners for a group shot.

ian...nice tools but more CAR! :-)

Ray

This one. I believe it's still the same color as before...

http://www.m2bmw.com/forsale.htm

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,287588/view,previous/sid,4f2720c40ac180ba48c57931c5aa23d2/

Cheers,

Ray

was bob's the green one? the other one was parked on the same hill at the show two cars down. think it was red?

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Before I can work on my car, I have to get this #@!%&**? english wheel off the floor of my garage, and out of the way.

Got to work on the tool arm. Actually, I started getting surface rust, so decided to take the frame apart to paint, and then realized I had time to work on the tool arm this weekend. So off came the legs for paint, and I wanted to lay down the frame to check the tool arm measurements before all my measuring would have to be done while supporting the heavy tool arm.

One thing I did not want to repeat was my adventure with the rolling ewheel frame. Since the frame is weight-biased to the rear, I thought I'd use some of my scrap DOM tubing to make a handle on the top rear of the frame. So I found two scrap bends of tube, butt-welded them to make a semi-circle, and cut it to fit. Then I welded the handle to the top rear of the frame.

handle_02-2.thumb.jpg.8b875519a04e2691c84e14bbee9068f7.jpg

Boy, was this great! No drama with lifting the 300+ lb frame this time round.

Handle_02.thumb.jpg.9a13ef15aa3910478eab00952d1eac54.jpg

So I laid out the tool arm. I'm short on the 4 x 10 rectangular tube, so I'm going to have to make an extension to get the lower anvil up the height of the upper wheel. Here's a first approximation, before I start cutting to fit. I've got about 2" of the 12" quill exposed for adjustment.

toolarm_01.thumb.jpg.42ba23a2e88c2247dd9ee0d4e99647d9.jpg

Edited by Ian

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

I decided to change the design of the tool arm, and make it narrow under the yoke for the lower anvil, to allow more room to manipulate complicated panels. To get an idea of the cuts I'd need to fit, I outlined the design with painter's tape on the existing pieces, and cut out a paper template of the filler piece needed, leaving room for a piece of 1/4" plate that I would run along the bottom.

toolarm_05.thumb.jpg.288b014dc100003606615e532b551d92.jpg

For the filler piece, I siamesed some 6 x 2 rectangular tube that I had left over from the legs, and cut them to fit the paper template.

toolarm_06.thumb.jpg.52c130f0a399307ebb703ee5ce4a4837.jpg

Next I cut the bottom side off the 4x10 rectangular tube that I was using as the tool arm, extending it up the sidewall 1" so I could incorporate the rounded edge. I then cut along a line 1" inside of the blue painter tape. This left the desired shape, which had the missing 1" in width supplied by the 1" long strip I cut from the bottom of the tube.

toolarm_08.thumb.jpg.31e0386ee51a4b6a290d224e1003800c.jpg

Edited by Ian

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Since I ran out of the big tubing, I made a bulkhead out of 3/8" plate, and tacked it onto the end of the slimmed-down tool arm. Then I tacked the extension to the end, and tacked the tool arm onto the 1/2" plate flange, and futzed around with it until then end of the arm was square and under the upper wheel. I added some 1/4" plate on top to stiffen the box, and then to the bottom to close up the box.

toolarm_09.thumb.jpg.edff77084441590644e1e6893cc6a3f8.jpg

After I got everything square, I welded the arm up. I welded the arm to the flange while bolted to the frame to minimize warping, then removed the arm to finish weld the extension on to the arm, and then ground it smooth.

Toolarm_weld.thumb.jpg.571cf983fea0984b4df7c2a9683b36bd.jpg

It's starting to look suspiciously like an english wheel! Here it is with the lower anvil resting in position.

toolarm_10.thumb.jpg.eebd7894cbe5900768ae86f5da7c8a1f.jpg

Aluminum hoods and trunks, and fenders, oh my!

Edited by Ian

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

• 1 month later...

Finished up the welding on the tool arm this last week, and got some paint of the frame. It's done! I even found some scrap 18 ga and did a little shaping last night. It's pure bliss to finally be able to do wheeling in my own garage!

Finished_eWheel.thumb.jpg.8181a72bc5d60517e4e2abf15a4fb9fe.jpg

Now, to start using it, instead of building it.

"We now return to your regularly scheduled BMW repairs"

Edited by Ian

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT