• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

finkbilt, here a link to the NK long tube I mentioned

norm

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Thanks for the TISA pictures - very interesting. I was really impressed by the cylinder head and the piston domes. They were really great cars and I wish BMW had made more of them.

Some questions:

Was the trunk frame drilled like that when the car was made?

Is the trans a ZF 5 speed? I've never seen even a picture of one before.

Did the wheels come with small center caps? I have a set that came on a 2000CS I sold years ago.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

The pistons are Venolia copies of the 12.5:1 Alpina pistons and they are 89mm the block has been bored our to... make it a 2 liter, the head was shaved 50 thou, the compression was measured at 13.8:1. Peter Herke was the last builder.

The transmission as far as I know is not ZF but Colotti and a rather weak link. I have only heard that's who made the transmissions; I haven't seen any evidence yet.

Here's a little bit of story on the car....

My father purchased the car in 1988 after looking at but not purchasing it in 1984 from a Hal Cope (Mother said no at the time). Heinz Eckhardt of German Auto Reparatur, a German repair shop and BMW dealer at the time, bought, prepared and raced the car in local Northern California SCCA competition until 1969 or so when he upgraded to a 2002Ti. It eventually ended up in the hands of a Northern California SCCA official who used to watch Heinz race the car, Hal Cope, whom my father almost purchased the car from in 1984. Dad then purchased the car from the next owner in 1988. That next owner may be the one who lost the car's racing log book.

I have BMW Club friends whom had seen this car race at tracks such as Laguna Seca and Sears Point as well as numerous hill climbs in Northern California. I have not had the chance to go through their old photographs with them but will in time. I have not been in contact with Hal Cope for many years but do have his current contact info and will contact him about 8mm home movies that he has of Heinz racing the car in competition. We also plan on working with the San Francisco Region SCCA to piece together a log book. Who knows, maybe Hal Cope kept it all these years.

The car has been sitting inside and outside at the same California home (my Parent's) since it's purchase in 1988. It was running and driving until 1995 when the clutch failed and the motor was taken apart for inspection. We found that Hal told the truth in that there are Venolia copies of Alpina 12.5:1 racing pistons in 89mm size. The TiSA head has been opened up for the pistons and shaved 1mm, Peter Herke built the motor last and measured the compression at 13.8:1

In 1994 we purchased a 4.22:1 75% limited slip "long neck" differential from a fellow BMW club member. And have been collecting other parts over the years.

These pictures were taken earlier this year (2009) and when Dad and I are ready to delve into the car we first plan on making it road worthy again and then ultimately go vintage racing with it in Northern California, the car's home turf........

Edited by tjones02

Tom Jones

66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i

Oh, missed the question on the trunk lid Swiss cheese. It was done by one of the previous owners (and not very well), which one I do not know. Many of the others I have seen have had the heavier hood drilled rather than the trunk.

Edited by tjones02

Tom Jones