• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

leather/vinyl covered dashes... gauging interest

BLUNT

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steve, the dash looks great. Is that a leather cover with white thread...or is it vinyl with white?

the above pics are vinyl with off white thread. i think it looks awesome but i dont have anything in my car to tie in the white. im going french seams in black thread. it wont jump out at you as much but should be a nice subtle touch

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

• 2 weeks later...
Comments on covered dashes

1. Any local upholstrey shop can do this work it is not highly complicated. Use black stitching (looks better and straight) and keep foam padding to a minum or your windshield will be hard to mount

2. New OEM dashes for BMW are only about $1400 + shipping from Deutschland so you might find a more correct look and similar pricing... without reassembly issues

3. In general dash caps nicely mounted and trimmed provide 90% of the "relief" from canyon cracks at 1/50th of the effort and risk. For those who have removed their dash you also need to be careful not to ground out any instruments or wiper motors... easy to do and can add up to big $$

4. Buying completed dashes good but if you have to send a core in to get new then your car open for quite awhile

5. Lastly don't know how a one piece dash can be wrapped... how do you get stitching to line up ? The 3 piece really best maybe 2 piece to wrap ? Once piece ?

Good luck with it ! We wrap these dashes for alot less then $1500 for our customers in leather and they turn out nice but be preppared to work hard to remount and fit everything. We can sell completed dashes all day long for $600 + the core if we don't have to install them. Installing them the hard part :)

Cheers

Jon

SelectClassics.com

PS pics of one of our in Schwartz Tii we built

http://picasaweb.google.com/jkirk225/BlackBMW2002Tii#5422708226641752082

Lets see one of your dashes mounted in a car you did.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

I put a link to the pictures of the Black Tii we put the leather dash in. Have done several will dig out some additional pics and put at the site

http://picasaweb.google.com/jkirk225/BlackBMW2002Tii#5422708226641752082

Will also post on our website when have time

I would post here but to be honest have never had time to figure out how to put pics on this board ? Will try again here

IMHO, the quality just is'nt the same. The stitching is'nt narly as straight and the overlap of the stitches is unsightly. There also seems to be a big hump smack dab in the middle.

Also, it's pretty bad for you to pitch your product in someone else's post. Don't be shy, make your own.

Members will/can make a decision as to which one they want.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Really not pitching any product ! Actually trying to inform about the level of extra effort to install covered dashes and discourage use - unless you fully sign up to the level of effort. If you order a dash from a far off land and don't realize the extra size will probably impact getting glass back in you will not be happy.

Also most don't realize BMW started making new dashes recently and probably a better choice in my opinion at $1500

We don't just sell parts but use all the parts we build, buy etc. in building many of these vehicles.

Quality of the dash is quite good it is leather not vinyl and leather always has a more natual look then vinyl. Also black sticking is pretty straight on these and based on experience t is the white stitching that shows any inperfection thus would not recommend it. I would challenge you to look closely at the white stiching and see if it is straight ?

Good luck

Good luck

Really not pitching any product ! Actually trying to inform about the level of extra effort to install covered dashes and discourage use - unless you fully sign up to the level of effort. If you order a dash from a far off land and don't realize the extra size will probably impact getting glass back in you will not be happy.

Also most don't realize BMW started making new dashes recently and probably a better choice in my opinion at $1500

We don't just sell parts but use all the parts we build, buy etc. in building many of these vehicles.

Quality of the dash is quite good it is leather not vinyl and leather always has a more natual look then vinyl. Also black sticking is pretty straight on these and based on experience t is the white stitching that shows any inperfection thus would not recommend it. I would challenge you to look closely at the white stiching and see if it is straight ?

Good luck

Good luck

please post close up photos of your completed dash. the pictures you posted look less than desirable but perhaps its the angles making them look uneven and hacked. i welcome competition .. its what makes a better product.. and in a lot of cases high quality vinyl is a better choice than leather and i challenge you to even tell the difference. have you seen late model BMW vinyl??

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Blunt:

Don't consider us competition as our post was simply for the common good - including you - that a padded dash can be a good idea but extra thickness does cause install problems. You have to use foam to get a smooth surface from the old vinyl thus no way around not having a thicker dash. Since we install all the stuff we see these areas of challenges and just passing it on. We will sell kits on request to do a complete car or complete section of a car that has been tested and works on the many full cars we rebuild (AC, interior, suspension, rebuit engines, even wheel and tire packages)

The dashes we do for clients end up being very close to a leather dash in a M series car which is our target look. We generally don't stitch as tight as the OEM dashes but leather very close to that look. We could stitch tight on a 3 piece dash but more $$$

Vinyl is good... we use European vinyl in all of our interior seat and door panel projects and like the perforated vinyl more then leather for seats. For a dash pad my preference would be a simple dash cap over vinyl wrap and a whole lot less work... I think. If I go to trouble of removing dash then leather or new dash !

My other post for the common good was - what I called you about - that BMW now makes new vinyl dashes for about $1400. Most of our customer prefer the original look unless doing a custom car... like the black one is in the pics I posted

Cheers

Jon

SelectClassics

thanks jon, i would still like to see close up of your dash details. my business is not dashes, its parts. this is merely something i put together because i know chris willett does excellent work at a fair price and i want a recovered 3 piece dash for my car. . if you have a better product and a more favorable price id like to see that also. the link you posted of the black tii really doesnt show in detail the quality of the work like the below pictures do. if you can provide a better product at a better price i would like the FAQ members to know about it. lets see some close up detailed pics jon below is a 1 piece dash in vinyl

Only02OnePieceDash025.jpg

Only02OnePieceDash023.jpg

Only02OnePieceDash026.jpg

Only02OnePieceDash029.jpg

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Nice stuff Steve.

As much as I hate to say it I think Jon is correct, I think you might run into some issues with the padding as the tollerences fitting the dashes is alot tougher than you would think. I have done several of these and tried padding once and I was not pleased. As for the leather it is tougher to streach and the vinyl seems to work better. As for the pictures of Jons I think more pics are in order as the one he posted does not look so hot.

Also as I am sure you know the 1 piece is also difficult although I have managed to complete a few just took a few times to get it right.

I have sold a few of mine on the board but once I noticed you were doing yours I stopped posting here as I dont want to step on anyones feet.

I have moved on to some CS stuff and will be selling my inventory on Ebay. Best of luck and keep up the awesome work you do helping out this board.

68 2002 #256

As for the white stiching some like the look some dont. With that being said it is more difficult to do the white over the black as it does stand out more and in turn your white stiches need to be perfect to achive the correct look.

68 2002 #256

I have a black leather dash being recovered with black stitching and am anxious to see how it comes out. I'm also having the console being covered at the same time to match the dash.

As my windshield is out of the car, I don't think I'll be running into some of the istallation issues mentioned here.

I'll post pictures when my dash arrives and we'll see how everything comes out. I'm still confident the dash that I've ordered will come out looking great and will be a nice addition to my car.

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

'72 2002 Tii Inka restoration project

'07 550i Titanium Silver, steptronic...ED 2006