adamm

Interior dome light problem

17 posts / 2984 viewsLast Reply

Hi all, read a couple of posts about dome lights packing up and all they've need is a clean of the contacts and hey presto!

However, I think my problem might be a bit trickier as I'm pretty certain I'm getting no current to the light. I've referred to the wiring diagram and see that the two wires from the light go to the door switches and the hazard warning switch/hazard relay. Hazards are still working and the wires are all still connected where they should be. I've tested the bulbs and they're ok.

I have a volt meter but I'm not great with electrics - could somebody tell me how to test the circuit to isolate the problem please?!

TIA

Not to be ignorant, but I am sure you are aware there are three positions to that switch

On all the time

Off

On only when door open

Hi Bill, yeah I'm growing intimately familiar with the bloody thing! I should have been watching Jenson Button on Sunday but instead was outside in the cold cursing...!

Cheers

get to the wires by the switch, disconnect them.

Put your DVM on DC volts, sometimes a straight line over some three dots or dashes.

with one lead from the DVM hooked to the power wire, touch the other lead to a known good ground. See if you have any reading on your meter, something like 12v.

If you got a reading, then you have a bad ground, if no reading, you have a power problem. Now, you at least know which one to chase

get to the wires by the switch, disconnect them.

Put your DVM on DC volts, sometimes a straight line over some three dots or dashes.

with one lead from the DVM hooked to the power wire, touch the other lead to a known good ground. See if you have any reading on your meter, something like 12v.

If you got a reading, then you have a bad ground, if no reading, you have a power problem. Now, you at least know which one to chase

This is great - instant support for electrical dummies!

I have a good reading so earths it is. I don't have my wiring diagram with me (I'm at work messing in my lunch) so are the door switches likely to be the culprits (assuming as the hazards work it's nothing to do with a problem on that side of the circuit)?

Guest Anonymous

the door switch would only be the problem if the dome light worked in the on position, but not in the "light up when the door is open" position. Since yours doesn't work at all, that's not it. Is the bulb good?

ah bloody hell of course not! the brain's not with it today. yes, bulbs are good. I say bulbs as my interior light is out of a CSi - I think they're different to the 02 (?) but the wiring to them is the same. Can't understand why it would suddenly stop working as it's always been fine with never so much as a flicker then one day it just stopped. So I need to look at the earth/s associated with the hazard circuit then?

I had the same problem with mine last year. On mine, it ended up being both the door switch being poorly grounded (the switch/screw itself acts as a ground when mounted) and a corroded connection at the hazard.

Things were working fine then one day....nothing.

make sure you have juice, and make sure ALL of the grounds are functioning.

all the best!

I was politely made aware I was incorrect in my advice to you.

My apologies and I hope the electrical experts will correct my error and you will find your problem.

I was politely made aware I was incorrect in my advice to you.

My apologies and I hope the electrical experts will correct my error and you will find your problem.

Oh no Bill! Don't tell me it's a case of the blind leading the man who can't see cause he has no interior light...?!

Don't worry, I'm sure I have an 'enjoyable' day ahead of me pulling apart half of my car to fix something that whilst not essential is bloody annoying to go without as I have no power in my garage and I get fed up groping around in the dark for keys and whatnot!!

I shall endeavor to feed back my findings... cheers!

well, I promised to report back my findings but I'm afraid they're not very conclusive...

I jumped in my car last Thursday to leave work and as I was starting it up the light suddenly came back on and has remained fine all weekend.

Strange little cars...

Thanks to all for the pointers.

Sounds like you have corroded connections at one or more of the following locations:

- Door switch frame & screw

- Door switch contacts

- Dome light switch contacts

- Dome light bulb contacts

Polish those with a small, fine stainless steel wire brush. A Dremel tool with a small wire wheel is perfect for this.

When the contacts are clean, put on a coating of dielectric grease to keep out moisture and oxygen to slow future corrosion.

When the problem happens, flip the switch at the dome light among the three positions, and that will narrow it down for you.

Curt, thanks for the info, I think there are a couple more corroded connections in my head... Several more journeys this week and still not even a flicker! Bloody thing. I'll do what you say at the weekend just to be sure. Hope it doesn't upset it again!! Cheers

While on the topic of interior dome light...

I have a '72 without a sunroof... and the PO restored the car but never installed a bulb in the dome light.

What kind of bulb is it? i want to pick one up at the local auto parts store and test the light out.

Thanks.

-josh

A different dome light issue in my ‘74 sunroof Tii: the dome light is off when the switch is centered.  But it’s on when switched in either direction!  Needless to say, would like to have it come on automatically when door opened.  Is this a wiring issue, and does anyone have a clue as to how to solve?