• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

F.S. 1972 BMW Alpina from EC Magazine

Brendan_Lopez

Hello Everyone, it's time for me to sell my Alpina (as seen in European Car Mag.) It is a 3 owner car with Alpina build sheets, documentation and a VIN number plaque from Alpina.

The car is solid, but needs some love to make it perfect. It's currently at Bavarian Rennsport with Bill who will help me find a buyer. Here are the basics.

Alpina engine with DCOE 45s, 300 deg cam, 10:1, tii manifold, CR 5 speed, suspension, tii trailing arms, big brakes, alpina body kit w/ turbo rear spoiler, Alpina wheels, steering wheel, shift knob and valve cover.

Not sure what the price will be, does anyone have any comparative values from any cars with known provenance? Respond and I'll give you the contact details where you can check out the car. Thanks everyone.

Also, I will be liquidating my rally car and a ton of parts I've accumulated over the years. I am working on preparing an inventory of that stuff. Best Regards,

Brendan

-----------------------------------

UPDATE 10/27/09

Since people have asked, I have decided to put more photos and details. Here is the entire history of the car as I know it.

The car was delivered from BMW to a dealer in Karachi. The car was unsold and sent back to BMW. At some point, it made its way to Alpina, and was sold for 13,500 DM to a US serviceman in spain. I have the original build sheets from alpina, the importation document and receipt from inter atlantica in spain and a letter from alpina authorizing inter atlantica as its agent.

While at Alpina, they did the flares, from spoiler, rear spoiler, dual weber engine (300 deg, 10:1, ported, etc.) steering wheel and knob. The car carries an alpina vin number plate in lieu of the standard BMW one.

The car was later brought back to southern california and when the serviceman retired to sun city, a shop teacher friend of mine bought it. The car was pretty much unused and he let it lay fallow.

In 1988 I delivered the car to his brother in Bozeman, who built and raced 2002 for a gazillion years, and still does. This guy had the body stripped down and painted, and put on new flares that were acquired from Hardy and Beck, Alpina's old West Coast Dealer. He also put on Tii trailing arms and big brakes, sport bilsteins and springs from Miller Norburn, another ex alpina dealer. The front sway bar is a 20mm from a factory Turbo.

In the time I bought the car, I added the correct alpina wheels and the recaro interior (the rear seat back has sun damage, but I bought extra cloth.) The engine and transmission have been rebuilt by Bill at Bavarian Rennsport, but I don't remember exactly when. The engine for sure was in the mid 2000s when they had all of those fires down there.

I haven't really driven the car that much since, weekends here and there; sometimes not for months.

Here is my contact info home phone (three two three) nine three eight - seven six three zero. My email is the first 4 letters of my first name, followed by work@aol.com

Best Regards

post-1311-13667614496802_thumb.jpg

post-1311-1366761455547_thumb.jpg

post-1311-13667614556286_thumb.jpg

post-1311-13667614557137_thumb.jpg

post-1311-13667614558057_thumb.jpg

An Alpina touring was bid up to $16,100 on eBay last year and didn't meet reserve. At last check the seller was *asking* $33.1k; this is from Oct 08.

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

I've always been a fan of this car since reading the EC write up years ago. Love the understated yet aggressive looks. The Alpina documentation makes it a rarity among the rare - good luck with the sale and please someone buy it and bring it to Texas so I can look at it... :-)

-Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

That IS funny. If you find you are up for a beer, I'm close to downtown Austin...

Hopefully the weather treats you well, rain forecast for Thursday but Fri/Sat/Sun look nice.

-Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!