• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74tii

Sooner

So how much will it cost to finish the green car?

The damn thing BETTER be rust FREE and win every damn show it's entered in. There Must be A LOT of people in Dallas that more money than they know what to do with and not know anything about cars. As for Randy's car, I'll get a look at it soon, he lives about an hour away, I pass by his exit every time I go surfing.

I gotta find one of your customers to buy the 74 Granatrot tii I'm restoring, it will be much nicer for about 1/2 of what the green car will end up costing some poor sucker.

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen these where somebody not Randy took these pics. I cannot tell exactly where it is (an inner rocker). Scale is maybe 2 inches blown up so it looks like a much larger hole.

As stated earlier would have been easy to hide something like this if we wanted to. We shipped car in its natural form. Car was so nice we did not think necessary nor did Randy have budget to paint undercarriage of car and or detail. If we were trying to hide a rusty car we could have slapped undercoating all over car etc.... we just don't do.

Bottom line even if this is a spot that got worse probably an hour and $5 worth of steel to fix like new. Might be a spot under a sunroof drain or a spot where there was some bottom damage that later rusted... don't know

Do know car was not rusty was very nice... when took interior out and detailed inside before putting in interior pans looked like new ... original Malaga paint on inside pans looked like new

frame rails, shock towers etc. all significant areas in very nice shape

Make up your own mind but we have stated our case factually

Jon

Guest Anonymous

I just received my car purchased from Select Classics.

All I can say is stay away from this Company.

I had a very similar experience with Jon's double talking.

I also asked Jon to buy the car back and he refused.

Don't make the same mistake - purchase a car locally that you can inspect and drive.

Scott

Guest Anonymous

Jon,

I am glad to inform as many folks that will listen to stay away from your Company.

You knew I was a rookie and took full advantage of me.

Now that my car is with a true BMW 2002 enthusiast and mechanic who knows these cars much better than you pretend to - I am just now beginning to understand how much you ripped me off.

You may want to reconsider my offer to buy my car back.

Scott

Hey Scott,

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Post some pictures,. it will make it harder for Jon to dispute your statements.

Also, do you have an ad or a written description from Jon?

Good Luck!

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

Guest Anonymous

Hi Arden,

It is not my style to attack - however if Jon ever tries to discredit my situation I will be happy to submit and post whatever it takes so no one else will fall prey to his questionable business ethics. (I have photos, emails, contract, etc...)

Jon knows who he is and what he does and he will need to live with that.

I need to move on and make lemonade out of the bucket of lemons Jon delivered to me.

In the process I have met some very knowledgeable BMW guys here locally and if I restore another car I have the resources to get it done right by honest folks.

I am sure that if Randy(Psychrunner) and I were to compare notes of our experience with Jon - unfortunately they would be very consistent in a negative way.

I also spoke with another customer (victim) who actually sent the car back and instead of making it right - Jon charged him a "restocking fee".

I hope everyone is getting the picture of what will happen if you trust this guy.

My only hope is that no one else becomes the next Select Classics victim.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Rayand all

We have this car back in our facility and this picture is so out of context it is not even worth commenting on. A dime size hole where water probably got trapped between rocker and floor pan (sunroof car)

This tiny spot was drilled out and replaced with steel in about 1 hour, treated and sealed

Went over entire car and found no other rust anywhere.

As mentioned numerous times attempting to give facts to folks making comments on a car they have never seen we did not detail bottom of the car before originally shipped. Think about it ... if we were trying to hide something would be not detail bottom of car... we shipped as is to reflect a very solid central TX car and when shipped this spot was not even obvious

The new owner let car sit outside for 9 months or longer and sometimes in transit these areas break open from stress of loading / unloading etc.

Will post complete pics of car on this site or on a picture site

Any and all are welcome to come inspect car in our facility to get the facts

If you want pics of entire car, bottom, top, shock towers etc. just let me know will send them or post them

Cheers

Jon

Hi Jon.

Bullshit.

Good luck with your business.

Cheers,

Ray

Rayand all

We have this car back in our facility and this picture is so out of context it is not even worth commenting on. A dime size hole where water probably got trapped between rocker and floor pan (sunroof car)

This tiny spot was drilled out and replaced with steel in about 1 hour, treated and sealed

As mentioned numerous times attempting to give facts to folks making comments on a car they have never seen we did not detail bottom of the car before originally shipped. Think about it ... if we were trying to hide something would be not detail bottom of car... we shipped as is to reflect a very solid central TX car and when shipped this spot was not even obvious

The new owner let car sit outside for 9 months or longer and sometimes in transit these areas break open from stress of loading / unloading etc.

Will post complete pics of car on this site or on a picture site

Any and all are welcome to come inspect car in our facility to get the facts

If you want pics of entire car, bottom, top, shock towers etc. just let me know will send them or post them

Cheers

Jon

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Ray:

You amuse me with your arogance. Like sitting behind a computer late at night looking at information 3rd or 4th hand and commenting as you are an expert. Why don't you throw out your full name and if you really feel so strongly that what we say is BS just call me and tell me.

Having built 60 of these cars from scratch I know what I know. The car is very nice has no rust issues whatsoever, is a pretty desirable, rare configuration and was a hech of a value at the price provided to original customer.

We have a waiting list for cars as such but we will be much more careful about managing expectations with our customers.

So if you are objective you would review complete pics of the car and draw a fair opinion... so what do you say ?

Jon

Funellen:

You are right but this customer did not want to pay for treating undercarriage of the car. It is a 40 year old car but spent its entire life in San Antonio and Austin TX. Thus never exposed to salt either on roads or salt from ocean air exposure. We knew a solid car and had nothing to hide and definately did not want to cover up undercarriage of car

However, in redoing many these cars I can share with you and this forum an insight on the patterns of wear on 2002's

1. sunroof cars get some unique rust spots near drain holes from sunroofs . This car had a minor spot in a completely non structural area that was less then the size of a nickle. Find a 40 year old car that does not have some minor rust on floor pans unless pans have been repalaced. to have one minor spot is spectacular in the real of 40 year old cars that have been used - period

2. sunroof cars get water in the car from time to time and get some minor rust ... near as I can tell and remember there was not internal rust on inside of floorpans. Internal pans were like new Malaga red with carpet out

3. What is really common is the driver side framerail sits right under the brake fluid reservoir. Since the reservoir is a gravity feed and if it even leaks a tiny bit over 40 years you tend to get a small isolated rust spot on driver side frame rail as the brake fluid removes paint and what little original rust prevention BMW put on these cars. It is no big deal takes a good body guy 10 minutes to repair ... never bad enough to have to replace the rail... just minor expansion of the existing drain hole in the rail. If you see this the car is NOT rusty just one of these charateristics even the most pristene 2002 can have due to how caustic brake fluid is on painted metal.

This car really had really minor occurances of two of these. The pictures taken were greatly exagerated

We only purchased car back from customer as we have a waiting list for Malaga red 71/72 sunroof cars and will give it a good home. This customer was not a good home, hid purchase from wife, financed a $12K car he could not afford, could not lift a screwdriver himself, expected a $50K fully restored car despite what contract said or what we said so did not even remotely appreciative of the value he received.

The car now has had all these spots treated, fixed and old undercoat removed, heated powerwashed and treated. It is by no means a new car but about as far away from a rusty car as you can get

I think it is time to post some pics of what a serious 2002 rust problem is.. rusted out shock towers, rusted through and damaged frame rails, salt air rusted rocker structural areas ! When these car have all three of these that is a fatal condition as to expensive to repair vs. value of the car

hope this is clear

I would also post all the current pics of the car on this forum but every time I try to attach a pic it does not show up ??? Will setup a simple photo site and put complete pics of every angle aspect of the car on it :)

Rayand all

Cheers

Jon

Pretty obvious to anyone that the "tiny" hole was the tip of an iceberg. If you "fixed" it in an hour then it's going to come back and haunt your next unsuspecting customer.

By the way, the brown stuff on the frame rail is rust.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Funellen:

You are right but this customer did not want to pay for treating undercarriage of the car. It is a 40 year old car but spent its entire life in San Antonio and Austin TX. Thus never exposed to salt either on roads or salt from ocean air exposure. We knew a solid car and had nothing to hide and definately did not want to cover up undercarriage of car

However, in redoing many these cars I can share with you and this forum an insight on the patterns of wear on 2002's

1. sunroof cars get some unique rust spots near drain holes from sunroofs . This car had a minor spot in a completely non structural area that was less then the size of a nickle. Find a 40 year old car that does not have some minor rust on floor pans unless pans have been repalaced. to have one minor spot is spectacular in the real of 40 year old cars that have been used - period

2. sunroof cars get water in the car from time to time and get some minor rust ... near as I can tell and remember there was not internal rust on inside of floorpans. Internal pans were like new Malaga red with carpet out

3. What is really common is the driver side framerail sits right under the brake fluid reservoir. Since the reservoir is a gravity feed and if it even leaks a tiny bit over 40 years you tend to get a small isolated rust spot on driver side frame rail as the brake fluid removes paint and what little original rust prevention BMW put on these cars. It is no big deal takes a good body guy 10 minutes to repair ... never bad enough to have to replace the rail... just minor expansion of the existing drain hole in the rail. If you see this the car is NOT rusty just one of these charateristics even the most pristene 2002 can have due to how caustic brake fluid is on painted metal.

This car really had really minor occurances of two of these. The pictures taken were greatly exagerated

We only purchased car back from customer as we have a waiting list for Malaga red 71/72 sunroof cars and will give it a good home. This customer was not a good home, hid purchase from wife, financed a $12K car he could not afford, could not lift a screwdriver himself, expected a $50K fully restored car despite what contract said or what we said so did not even remotely appreciative of the value he received.

The car now has had all these spots treated, fixed and old undercoat removed, heated powerwashed and treated. It is by no means a new car but about as far away from a rusty car as you can get

I think it is time to post some pics of what a serious 2002 rust problem is.. rusted out shock towers, rusted through and damaged frame rails, salt air rusted rocker structural areas ! When these car have all three of these that is a fatal condition as to expensive to repair vs. value of the car

hope this is clear

I would also post all the current pics of the car on this forum but every time I try to attach a pic it does not show up ??? Will setup a simple photo site and put complete pics of every angle aspect of the car on it :)

Funellen? Is Ellen Degeneres on this board? probably not, but she is definitely a fun person.

I don't mean for this to sound like an attack whatsoever, but if that hole was nickel sized wouldn't it take just an hour for your guy to repair before you sold it? The pictures don't look to be exaggerated, I just think you have a different scope of what is defined as "bad rust." The general definition is, if you can see through it, it's probably bad.

My car is 41 years old, and only has minor bubbles on the rockers. The car has definitely seen use, yet remains mostly rust free. If anything on my car looked like the pictures above, I would've haggled the price down immediately, then fixed it when I bought it with some POR-15.

I'm extremely curious to see pictures of the fix, please post soon.

The other thing that crossed my mind- if I owned any kind of shop that does bodywork, automatically I would search the car for any rust, and treat it, even if there is no guaranteed buyer. It's a karma thing, you're helping a car out, someone will eventually help you out.

-Matt

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167