• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 VW Beetle: Gone to new owner

jgerock

Car was picked up by Myerstown (PA) auto transport today about 11am - bound for Blairstown, NJ to the new owners.

Odometer read just over 1992 miles after I pulled it onto the trailer. Weird how I bought it in April 1993!

Nice to see them using tire straps instead of chassis tie downs.

Kind of sad to see it go - but looking forward to the next project. It only took me 18 years to realize I was going to sell it and correct the VA title to the proper year and VIN (matching numbers car).

DSC_1201.jpg

DSC_1206.jpg

DSC_1200.jpg

DSC_1205.jpg

DSC_1207.jpg

This car is my "pride and joy" and is up for sale to fund a 2002ti clone project. Car was purchased for $ 1,000.00 in April 1993 and was an empty shell with no interior, engine, windows and recent really bad paint job. The rear package tray below the rear window was swiss-cheese rusted (most likely from a leaking rear window seal).

Here is the car right after I bought it. Complete with torn headliner, ratty wiring harness and 8-track stereo in dash. Note larger taillights and t-bars.

Photobucket

The seller gave me a ton of parts and I used a tow bar and my roommates Nissan pickup to literally drag it 80 miles to my parent's house where it stayed until I moved into a townhouse with a garage in 2000.

Stripping what's left and sanding the recent bad paint job (original color of the body was Clementine Orange). Note the yellow package tray being fitted. I purchased that piece from Averre's in WA for $ 100 shipped UPS to my house.

Photobucket

Top pic is continued fitment of the package tray (note old headliner still ine place). Bottom pics are just after it was painted (Single stage Glasurit Porsche Guards Red) in 1995 and the new headliner I installed.

Photobucket

Here it is after moving it to my current house. I didn't work on it for a while right after I got married in 1995 and my job was too hectic.

Photobucket

The engine was built by me of all new parts - most being from Gene Berg Enterprises in CA.

Original configuration

Photobucket

Current set-up with new linkage and breather box (lines added just after pic taken). Note '68 taillights and new rear bumper.

Photobucket

Some engine highlights:

New case and Dual Dellorto 40mm DRLA carb kit from CB Performance. Gene Berg counterweighted 69mm crankshaft with 8-dowelled and balanced 12 lb. flywheel.

90.5mm Cima/Mahle balanced pistons (92mm O.D. barrels)

Balanced and shot-peened VW # 311B connecting rods

Gene Berg 297 Cam (Engle 110 grind)

New dual port cylinder heads by Gene Berg (stock valves, semi-hemi cut chambers)

Spacers added and heads cc'd by me for low 6.9:1 compression ratio

Solid rocker shafts with swivel feet adjusters

Jet-Hot coated header with dual quiet-pack exhaust

Bosch "009" centrifugal advance distributor with "Blue" coil

New stock heater boxes

All new thermostat components and paint matched cooling tin

"Doghouse" style fan shroud with welded cooling fan

Reman. Bosch AL-82X alternator

25mm Oil pump with full-flow remote oil filter (Fram HP-1), S/S braided lines

1.5 Quart oil sump

Kennedy 1700 Lb. Pressure plate with Centerforce dual-friction clutch disc

Front end features a new 2" narrowed, adjustable axle beam, dropped spindles, KYB GR-2 shocks, disc brakes from '74 K-G (reman. calipers), new master cylinder, S/S brake hoses, new tie rods, steering dampener and 3/4" narrowed sway bar. Note the rotary electric fuel pump (3.5 psi). New gas tank (POR-sealed) not shown.

Photobucket

Front tires are Michelin XZX 145-15 from Coker Tire on Eagle 8-spoke wheels polished by Mag Masters in CA.

Photobucket

Rear end has disc brake kit from CB Performance that uses Porsche 914 rotors and Golf calipers, 3/4" sway bar, KYB GR-2 Shocks, engine support bar from Gene Berg. Same wheels on back with Dunlop 205-60R15 tires.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Interior has stock VW seats ('68 seatback welded to '70 bottom frames), all new urethane foam padding (over sisal spring covering) and off-white vinyl covers from West Coast Metric. Backseat re-done to match.

New dash pad from WCM, along with all new switches, knobs and speedo ring. Speedo salvaged from a '73 with different face, higher MPH and ODO turned back to zero. VDO tach and oil temp gauges in aluminum gauge panels. Lecarra Mark 9 steering wheel. "Sure-fit" black carpet kit from West Coast Metric. New front wiring harness added after many hours troubleshooting original one. Gene Berg t-handle shifter with reverse lock-out button. Pedal assembly rebuilt. New wiper pivots and retractable seat belts from Wolfsburg West.

Photobucket

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim,

That's a great car with a great story. I really hope you've changed your mind about selling it....

Even if it becomes a garage queen, there is too much of your blood, sweat and tears for it to go away.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Ken -

Thanks for the comments. I've only put 1,600 miles on it since I first got it on the road in December 2004. I have another set of hi-po cylinder heads with match-ported manifolds waiting for me to pull the engine (will require removal of the heater boxes).

After I installed a starter relay, the car starts every time and is super reliable. It's never stranded me even though I throw some tools in it when I drive it. The ride is pretty rough with the lowered front end and GR2 shocks - I may pull the dropped spindles out and put stock Boge shocks on it to smooth out the ride.

I wish I had more space!!

Jim Gerock

Great car and great story. I love seeing the before, middle and after photos. I agree that think twice and then twice again before selling it, but if it's time to move on then don't look back.

Thanks for posting!

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

it looks even better in person!

love the "quiet-pack" exhaust....not! i can tell jim is coming a few blocks away! :-)

Thanks Marshall. ..yes it's loud (no radio needed with dual carbs), but I can hear your car before seeing it. If nothing else, it gets the kids in nearby cars to play "punch buggy" or "slug bug".

See rules here: http://www.geocities.com/jaredperi/beetle/buggy.html

Photobucket

Jim Gerock

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So JG I gotta ask, what is the IE of the VW world? Im probably going to be rebuilding a VW bus engine that has a 1700 pistons in it and I would like to run a hotter cam and some 40 IDF carbs but I dont know any good sites for that stuff... Your help is much appreciated! The plan is it's going in a '61 356

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

So JG I gotta ask, what is the IE of the VW world? Im probably going to be rebuilding a VW bus engine that has a 1700 pistons in it and I would like to run a hotter cam and some 40 IDF carbs but I dont know any good sites for that stuff... Your help is much appreciated! The plan is it's going in a '61 356

If you are talking about installing a Type IV engine in the 356, please don't do this. If you are going with a Type I or II, then that should be OK.

For Type IV goodness, check out Jake Raby's Air Cooled Technology website (RAT). He is in Georgia.

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

Jim Gerock

Thanks Doug and Marshall for the comments.

This is my first attempt at using Microsoft Video editor. I borrowed Marshall's flip video camera which was stuck to the outside of the rear window. Too much wind noise after I got up to speed so I clipped the video. Will try again this weekend. Car was not using full throttle.

th_Parkway11272011.jpg

Jim Gerock