Meintii

Is it possible to make your own Euro turn signals?

7 posts / 2020 viewsLast Reply

I have been wondering lately if it was feasible to make some possibly removable euro style lenses for the front turn signals.

I have two chrome surrounds in good shape w/o lenses, and I have been thinking about going to lowes and seeing if they have some kind of clear plastic or of material that I could heat and mold to the shape lens, but I dont know how I would get it to attach to the frame.

I like the idea of doing this so I can make a pair of clear, and/ or Italian style lenses.

Any ideas? Anybody done this? Pics and links would be great!

Hot Rodders, specifically the Lead Sled Kustom car crowd have been making their own taillights for eons. I think they heat and form sheets of red or amber plastic with the dimples on one side and smooth on the outer.. Tap plastics would be a much better place to go than Lowes. I haven't personally attempted it yet but that's a direction you could look towards for more info.

HTH

It's definitely possible, but it becomes a question of how much you want to invest in the proper equipment to get truly authentic, bubble free castings. Then there's the issue of reshaping flaw-free originals (for casting purposes) so that they fit the bezels securely without being molded to both sides, like the factory method. If you just want to have a clear or bicolor piece of plastic serving as a lens, I'm sure there are less involved ways to do that. I can tell you from experience that it will be cheaper to buy a new pair of Italian lenses than to purchase everything you need to cast your own high quality lenses. The photo is a lens that I cast this past winter.

post-5612-13667610329044_thumb.jpg

It's definitely possible, but it becomes a question of how much you want to invest in the proper equipment to get truly authentic, bubble free castings. Then there's the issue of reshaping flaw-free originals (for casting purposes) so that they fit the bezels securely without being molded to both sides, like the factory method. If you just want to have a clear or bicolor piece of plastic serving as a lens, I'm sure there are less involved ways to do that. I can tell you from experience that it will be cheaper to buy a new pair of Italian lenses than to purchase everything you need to cast your own high quality lenses. The photo is a lens that I cast this past winter.

So did you make a mold so you can cast more lenses? Or.. how did you make what you have picture? It looks great!

Pics of the process would be great if you have them.

I do have molds, which is how I made the one pictured. I had to sacrifice 2 Euro signals to make them - not a cheap sacrifice, but necessary. The molding/casting process is not easily described, but there is a lot of information available on the web. Keep in mind that the compound curves of the 02 lens create its own set of challenges beyond the basics of simple mold/cast methods. If I weren't retired from my real job, I could never have found the time needed to dub around with this for the past 8 months. Email me for more particulars. Thanks for the compliment!

I'm working on some lasercut/thermo-form lenses that won't look like euros, but will be clear/white. I'd started out looking at casting, but couldn't find a water-clear casting resin that set hard enough at normal atmospheric pressure to be durable.

ought2- what type of resin did you use?

I use Water Clear from Alumilite, but Reynold's Advanced sells a similar 2-part resin.