• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The N2

NoahTeates

Drove it home to NoVA from Glen Arm (~100 miles or so), and if I had to pick a word it would be "FWOAR." Stopped by Marshall's to get some outside opinions--today was the first time I've ever actually driven an 02 on the road--and I'll let Marshall and Jim share their thoughts as the spirit moves them. They each got a taste of its, er, *quirks.* Let's just say you'd better have it pointed the right direction by the time you can hear the boost building, and Marshall was the only one of us who didn't stall it.

They were also kind enough to help me run down a coolant leak (loose clamp) and an oil leak (bad/loose gasket), and judging by my red eyes, light head, and 7mpg from a 320 whp motor in a <2000# car, there's still a fuel leak somewhere waiting for me. That said, none of us could keep it straight past about half a bar of boost (I didn't ask, but will guess it's tuned for ~1.5 bar). This thing is *silly* fun to drive. I'll keep posting as I work through the rest of it.

Best to all,

Noah

997 Launch Edition

89 Wrangler

76 2002 Widebody

we posted a bunch of pics before you did...:-)

fix the leaks

get some new tires

realign the pedals

and sign up for a track school.

dibs as your instructor!

nice job on the car Noah! look forward to seeing what it can do in an "unconstrained" environment!

2xM3

Some observations from my quick ride today with Noah...

Nissan engine idles very smoothly but the throttle is very sensitive. The least amount of pedal pressure makes the engine rev quick. Clutch release is high, making it a chore to start out smooth.. especially going up hill. I stalled the car at least twice. The hanging Wilwood pedals take some getting used to.

Moving onto a main street and with just a light touch on the accelerator pedal you experience rapid movement. Shifter has been moved back about 12" from the normal 2002 position, but the shift lever is short and feels smooth. I was only going 50mph in 4th, but the car definitely wanted to go faster. The engine sound when the boost starts to build is amazing, then backing off the throttle provides the familiar relief valve "shhhhhhh". I brought the car up to 70 a couple of times and it wasn't even trying. Car is scary fast.

A good ride test for a modified 2002 is going down GW Parkway. The suspension on Noah's car rides very nice - even with old tires. Other than the large diameter muffler, you wouldn't even know it was a super-modified 2002.

Would love to take your car out again some time. Will buy gas too!

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Thanks for the kind words Jim, you're welcome to give it some exercise anytime you'd like. To clarify, the engine is not all stock Nissan:

* Garrett GT25 turbo

* HKS 264 cams

* Nismo 740 cc injectors

* Apexi PowerFC engine management

* Walbro 255 L/hr fuel pump

* Twin-plate Nismo clutch w/ lightweight moly flywheel

In all fairness, it really *should* jump up when you touch the pedal. There are people who have spent a lot less to get a lot more than 320hp at the wheels. :)

Best,

Noah

997 Launch Edition

89 Wrangler

76 2002 Widebody

Shopping for tires today, it looks like the pickings are a bit slim for my 15" rims. The current set is 195/50 front, 215/50 rear. The goal is to get a little more tire, especially out back. It looks like Toyo is the only place to get more than a 225, and to get it I have to go to R compounds:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Toyo&tireModel=Proxes+R888&partnum=35WR5R888&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

They'll go up to 225 in a street tire:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Toyo&tireModel=Proxes+R1R&partnum=05VR5PR1R&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I had a set of Proxes on my 96 M3 and loved them. Has anyone else run the R888 on a street car? I'm not planning to drive it in the rain anyway...

Best,

Noah

997 Launch Edition

89 Wrangler

76 2002 Widebody

i would go with the R1R's. about as grippy as you are going to get in a street tire.

i would NOT use the R888's as a street tire. won't grip as well cold, won't last long, and compound looses grip fast with each heat cycle (as do all r-comps). a heat cycle is a trip to the grocery store. my r888's noticably dropped off in grip after 15 heat cycles...and the grip is still getting less after 25. they are done. lots of "tread" left, but no grip.

225/45 rear

205/50 front

2xM3

Thanks Marshall, appreciate the info. I just ordered the tires and the adjustable perches from Pit Stop to make sure we'll be able to clear them. I see what needs to happen on the pedals--stay tuned...

Thanks again,

Noah

997 Launch Edition

89 Wrangler

76 2002 Widebody

Hey Noah,

I too am in the process of building a car somewhat similar to this. I my question for you however is how do you find it to drive without power steering?

I am using the Nissan rack so power steering is possible. But debating whether its worth the effort.

Very nice car btw!

no 02's came with power steering of course, so manual steering is "normal"

this car has an e30 rack. in my driving of this car, the steering effort is perfect and has none of the slight play that even a well adjusted 02 steering box has.

2xM3

Thanks Marshall, given that I've never driven a stock 02, your opinion is more valuable than mine for more reasons than usual. The only minor correction I'd add is that the manual rack I used was from an E21; I don't know if/how an E30 rack would differ, except that I thought that at least some of them had power steering.

To answer the initial question, the car is light enough that you don't even notice any weight to the steering unless you're parking it. The precision and feel are on par with my E36 M3, 997, and slightly better than my wife's E60 M5.

In other news: thanks to Jim G, I have a driver's side mirror to replace the one that literally fell off in Marshall's driveway. Thanks again Jim!

Best to all,

Noah

post-15153-13667668402892_thumb.jpg

997 Launch Edition

89 Wrangler

76 2002 Widebody