• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The N2

NoahTeates

Thank you for the responses. I have never driven a standard 2002 so I am in the dark on the steering weight, hence the question.

I have used a Nissan rack in my conversion which by the looks of things I will be converting to a manual operation.

The other question I have is in regards to your rear end, I am going to try using the standard rear subframe (modified with IE gear) with a late model E21 small case diff (welded up). Do you in your experience think it will hold up to power similar to yours?

I'm probably the last person you should ask about my experience with early BMW diffs--the only one I ever owned I replaced before I ever drove it. :)

Marshall and Jim will be much better able to answer your question. I opted to replace the diff for two reasons:

1 - It was the last link between the engine and the pavement that hadn't been upgraded, and I didn't want to have to fix it later. The driveshafts and axles are all all rated at close to double the power the car is making.

2 - The new driveshaft wouldn't fit through the yoke in the old beam.

If I were doing it again, I'd be tempted to use the Nissan rear: I love having the E30 swing arms, discs, etc, but the diff itself has an offset input to account for the angle of the M20 in the bay. The SR20DET stands perpendicular to the ground, and thus doesn't line up with the input on the E30 rear, so it required custom unequal length axles, and while the cost wasn't much, I would have preferred they be equal length on general principal. We were making the axles anyway, so the cost difference would have been negligible to mate the Nissan diff to the BMW hubs.

What can you tell us about your engine? I have a good friend in Perth who built the engine I wish I could have bought--a hand-built CA18DET. He and I built a 180SX in Slovakia way back in 03 and drove it to the Nurburgring for a few long weekends, and I loved that engine.

Have a great night,

Noah

997 Launch Edition

89 Wrangler

76 2002 Widebody

Thanks for your help.

My engine is a mix of things I have learn´t over my time playing with imports.

The aim was to build it on a budget but still make reasonable power.

S13 SR20DET

SR20DE (non turbo) Cams

SR20DE (non turbo) throttle body

Tomei Rocker Stoppers

S15 pistons & rods

ACL Race bearings

Injectors are to be bought still.

Trust TD06-20gL2 8cm turbo

Clutch is to be purchased also but leaning towards an ORC 409D single plate.

Nisstune ECU (Mainly for legalities, I can fool most inspectors with this, a Power FC I cannot)

Aiming for a similar power figure to yours, but will probably end up with a bit more, the turbo is on the larger side for the 300hp mark.

That sounds like a fantastic recipe. I had a larger turbine housing when the motor was in an S14, but figured a lower peak with a little less lag would fit the lighter car better. The guys who tuned it in tell me the last dyno run put ~320 to the rear wheels, so I'm guessing we should be somewhere between 350 -370 at the motor. Whatever it is, it's already way more than I could hook up with the old tires. I'm hoping the new tires make a difference, but I'm still expecting a lot of unplanned tire smoke. :)

In other news, in case anyone has been looking for Max, the 02 Guru who used to work out of the gas station at Spring Hill Road and Old Dominion in Great Falls, I found him again at Spring Hill and Tyco in Tyson's. He's doing the tires, spring perches, and a safety inspection as we speak. Cross your fingers...

Best to all,

Noah

997 Launch Edition

89 Wrangler

76 2002 Widebody

350hp and acceleration runs is a formula to destroy an e21/2002 diff and the halfshafts in short order. i would go bigger...

Noah...are those tires going to fit under the fenders on those wheels? they seemed to have too much positive offset.

2xM3

It will be close--that's why I bought the threaded sleeves for the springs. On the other hand, it's only one size up. Given how low the car was to start, I figure well probably be OK. Worst case, we'll get stiffer springs or smaller tires. Once the metalwork under the flares is unscrewed, we'll have a little more space to work with.

Cross your fingers...

Best,

Noah

997 Launch Edition

89 Wrangler

76 2002 Widebody

I'm not ruling it out--I've always thought a set of the BBS RXs like I had on my E36 M3 or some light CSL-knock-offs would look great on this car--but I also like the wheels on it now. If there is a way I can save the cost of wheels towards the body, interior, and paint work I know is coming, that would be my goal. Also, if I were going to buy wheels, I could have gone up to 16s and had a whole new world of tires open up.

I know I'm going to hate myself for asking this, but did you have anything specific in mind...? :)

997 Launch Edition

89 Wrangler

76 2002 Widebody

Quick update: the sleeves didn't fit over the stock spring perches. Here is the item I bought from Pit Stop USA:

http://pitstopusa.com/i-5066715-allstar-performance-steel-hidden-adjustable-spring-spacer-w-aluminum-adjuster-nut.html

Can anyone confirm whether I ordered the wrong ones, or should I plan to do a little more fabrication...?

Thanks in advance,

Noah

997 Launch Edition

89 Wrangler

76 2002 Widebody

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update: Marshall was right--the spring perches just needed a little persuasion. New tires required just a few mm trimmed from the front fiberglass fenders to fit perfectly, but Marshall was right about the offset too--the right wheels would give us room for a little more tire up front too. We have a working horn, blower motor, brake lights, and we're looking at adjusting or replacing the window regulators to make sure both windows close tight again. Hoping to get it back in the next week or so with fresh rubber and a clean safety inspection. Stay tuned...

997 Launch Edition

89 Wrangler

76 2002 Widebody

• 4 weeks later...