esty

more about that gas smell

16 posts / 3680 viewsLast Reply

a couple of days ago someone posted a thread showing a charcoal canister they made from a plastic bottle that's connected after the vapor canister and mounted in the trunk...

last night i was in walmart and noticed aluminum drink bottles for a couple of bucks...they were available in satin aluminum, blue, red, green and maybe yellow anodized...

anyway i bought one, grab'd a jar of charcoal in the pet supply dept, picked up an assortment of airline barbs in the automotive dept...brought it home and made one

the lid seals tight so i epoxied a barb in the lid, punched a hole in the bottom with a phillips screwdriver, glued a barb in that hole, filled with charcoal, vented it out of the car, thru the trunk and bob's your uncle

i used i velcro to mount it to the car so i can easily remove it...a quick drive around the neighborhood proved my work successful, no gas smell

2dcixb4.jpg

2duguvq.jpg

idhht2.jpg

2m3nr6r.jpg

If the trunk seal fails during the next rainy season, you will be all set for your 2002 aquarium. Just add fish.

Looks clean!

Now it smells clean.

very nice, esty! glad i could inspire one more gas-free 02 trunk! i like the metal bottle, looks nicer than my plastic one. although i did liberate the bottle from my lab for free since it was used. i tried to velcro mine along that same edge in the trunk, but the bottle was just too wide and the adhesive backing on the velcro didn't like sticking to my crappy trunk paint...in fact it peeled off quite easily!

cheers,

brad.

very nice, esty! glad i could inspire one more gas-free 02 trunk! i like the metal bottle, looks nicer than my plastic one. although i did liberate the bottle from my lab for free since it was used. i tried to velcro mine along that same edge in the trunk, but the bottle was just too wide and the adhesive backing on the velcro didn't like sticking to my crappy trunk paint...in fact it peeled off quite easily!

cheers,

brad.

hey brad....i tried to find your thread...i was going to post my stuff in your's and give you credit but i lost the thread and didn't have much time to do a lot of searching

you were my inspiration and i appreciate the idea...easy to do and works like a charm

BTW...i started with a plastic catsup bottle at walmart till i noticed the aluminum drink bottles on my way to check out..

thanks mister

Tankvent.jpg

I saw your solution and used it for inspiration. I got the bottle from Wallyworld for $5, some charcoal from the fish section, and bought the fittings and hoses from Lowes. I removed my original vapor tank and mounted my new charcaol filter in it's place. Instead of running the vent line into the passenger compartment, I ran it out through the plug where the rear vent tube would go if I didn't have a sunroof. The plug on that side is not the real piece - someone over the years made one out of JB weld and what was left of the original plug - I just drilled a hole through it and ran the hose out that way.

Went for a nice little drive this morning and the smell was much better. I'll hold off on declaring victory until a hot day - it was nice and chilly with snow on the ground this morning.

I also noticed that my rubber filler neck was very cracked and probally more of a source of my gas fumes. I repaired it with Seals All - $3 for a tube of glue was worth a try considering the rubber piece is over $80.

Tankvent.jpg

I saw your solution and used it for inspiration. I got the bottle from Wallyworld for $5, some charcoal from the fish section, and bought the fittings and hoses from Lowes. I removed my original vapor tank and mounted my new charcaol filter in it's place. Instead of running the vent line into the passenger compartment, I ran it out through the plug where the rear vent tube would go if I didn't have a sunroof. The plug on that side is not the real piece - someone over the years made one out of JB weld and what was left of the original plug - I just drilled a hole through it and ran the hose out that way.

Went for a nice little drive this morning and the smell was much better. I'll hold off on declaring victory until a hot day - it was nice and chilly with snow on the ground this morning.

I also noticed that my rubber filler neck was very cracked and probally more of a source of my gas fumes. I repaired it with Seals All - $3 for a tube of glue was worth a try considering the rubber piece is over $80.

You might be sucking exhaust fumes into your trunk/cabin by the looks of the gap in your rear trunk seal. If your filler neck is in bad shape, why risk patching the old one up and just replacing it with a new one? The gas nozzle can poke thru the old rubber if cracked.

good deal...it fix'd my gas smell issues...

i agree if your rubber filler neck is crack'd your vapor canister may not entirely fix the problem...they are inexpensive and easy to install

Would this work the same way if going to a M20? i.e. the vent line from the tank goes to the canister and the other end goes to any vacuum line in the intake? Need any check valves?

Would this work the same way if going to a M20? i.e. the vent line from the tank goes to the canister and the other end goes to any vacuum line in the intake? Need any check valves?

an o2 doesn't use a vac line from the vapor canister to the intake...as far as i know...

the return line from the o2 vapor canister originally ran back to the carb in smog equipped cars to re-burn the vapor...on cars without smog equip, the line out of the vapor canister just ran to or was vented to the ground via a tube in the trunk

I don't have a stock vapor canister near me to see the inlet/outlet configuration, but could one drill a large hole in the top and fill the thing will charcoal, and use a plastic plug to seal it back up?

My car still has the canister under the hood, this idea could even eliminate the need for that as well...?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Activated-Carbon-Charcoal-Air-Water-Odor-Filtration-/160410291815?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255932ce67

post-164-13667624785958_thumb.png

post-3771-13667624786537_thumb.png

If you run the vent line from the tank to the canister, through the charcoal with the other end open (no vacuum) will the gases be able to pass through the charcoal and make it out the other end? I thought you needed the vacuum of the engine to suck the gas through the charcoal?

So I guess my setup should be like a e30?

If you run the vent line from the tank to the canister, through the charcoal with the other end open (no vacuum) will the gases be able to pass through the charcoal and make it out the other end? I thought you needed the vacuum of the engine to suck the gas through the charcoal?

So I guess my setup should be like a e30?

The natural displacement of air is all you are managing... from expansion, filling, slosh, etc..

you could fill the original vapor canister with charcoal....a vapor line from fuel filler tube in....a vapor line out to the ground is all you need....(gas vapor in thru charcoal...out as filtered air)

you can buy charcoal for cheap at walmart in the pet dept...they sell it for aquarium filters

i recently found another source of a bad gas smell i had...the rubber o-ring between the sending unit and the tank was badly compressed not making a good seal...replaced it an all gas smell is gone

i recently found another source of a bad gas smell i had...the rubber o-ring between the sending unit and the tank was badly compressed not making a good seal...replaced it an all gas smell is gone

That little bugger has been on my list for a year, I just keep forgetting to order it! Mine is always a little wet around the sender, ever since I cleaned the tank out last spring. Guess I broke the seal.. Got a part number, or a diameter?

I don't have the original unit in my car so I guess solution for me is to:

1) get alum. bottle

2) holes on each end

3) fill with charcoal

4) in one end from gas tank out other end to outside of car.