• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator not charging Battery

Hows it goin Lads,

Well after 6 months at various mechanics i picked up the tii on friday,

Brendan, the guy who worked on it was a real cool guy, we talked for over an hour about the car, he has about 30 2002's in various states of repair.

So he gave me car and said

"You need a new battery, and the belt is loose so get them sorted over the weekend."

When i picked up the car, the battery light flickered, and when i revved the engine the light would stay on. (but no screeching noise from the belt).

by the time i got home the battery light was staying on permanently in the dash.

I changed the battery,

The belt is pretty loose so i went to tighten it up but theres no more adjustment left, so i guess the fan belt is too long for the tii. and the adjusting bolt is wrecked. i need a new one.

I went last night and pulled the fan belt and adjustment bolt from my 2002 touring parts car and tonight im gonna try see if i can tighten the belt.

My question is:

Is there anything else i should check?

Battery : new

Alternator: reconditioned

Earth wire from alternator to engine renewed.

Apart from the battery the car drives really well.

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys, any help is much appreciated

Steve

Below, my 3 cars together for the first time on friday

post-3122-13667607956968_thumb.jpg

it could be your regulator but could also be a faulty part in the alternator. I had a diode go the other week and my alternator was rebuilt 15 months ago and I have only done about 3000km's since that

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

Just read the archives and this FAQ post on charging: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/36/32/. Having read Bingbong's non-advice, he should read it too.

Thanks Eric, Thats perfect im gonna follow that tonight when i get home. i have a spare voltage regulator in the parts car so thats gonna be tried also.

I appreciate it Eric thanks. I'll update on how i get on.

Guest Anonymous

You did not detail things, I wonder if your fan belt is really the correct length and that your alternator's rubber retention bushings are shot or you don't have the correct adjustment bracket. The bracket also has a bushing that can turn to mush and brackets have a mysterious tendency to become mixed and mismatched with those from other cars and they can also be bent.

Bosch Voltage regulators seem to last a long time. But if you are going to continue using an external voltage regulator (as opposed to an internally regulated alternator) and still need another regulator, consider one of the less expensive aftermarket versions that are much smaller, transistorized and usually encased in epoxy. I have one on a Volvo and VW. Both even have a tiny adjustment screw on the bottom.

You did not detail things, I wonder if your fan belt is really the correct length and that your alternator's rubber retention bushings are shot or you don't have the correct adjustment bracket. The bracket also has a bushing that can turn to mush and brackets have a mysterious tendency to become mixed and mismatched with those from other cars and they can also be bent.

Bosch Voltage regulators seem to last a long time. But if you are going to continue using an external voltage regulator (as opposed to an internally regulated alternator) and still need another regulator, consider one of the less expensive aftermarket versions that are much smaller, transistorized and usually encased in epoxy. I have one on a Volvo and VW. Both even have a tiny adjustment screw on the bottom.

You may be right Eduardo, I'll take some photos when im working on it this evening (as long as the rain holds off)

I have taken the fan belt off my 2002 touring which i only assume is smaller.

Thanks

....AND FINALLY: the harness plug at the back

of the alternator can have spread female connectors,

loose fitting.... and with heat and vibration(increasing rpm)

loose contact with the alternaters male connectors.

a poorly repaired connector, weak- brittle- nearly broken wires

will also cause your light flickering/glowing

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

....AND FINALLY: the harness plug at the back

of the alternator can have spread female connectors,

loose fitting.... and with heat and vibration(increasing rpm)

loose contact with the alternaters male connectors.

a poorly repaired connector, weak- brittle- nearly broken wires

will also cause your light flickering/glowing

yeah i was looking at the harness plug, it looks really bad, i have spliced the one from my touring 02 to use if required. the fan belt from the touring is WAY smaller that the tii. so couldnt fit it to the tii.

so plan for today is

go to the motorfactors get a smaller belt and electrical connectors.

and if new fanbelt doesnt work,

Splice the old harness off the alternator with the new harness.

if that doesnt work, send the alternator in to be tested..

Ok so i spent a couple hours on it last week,

Turns out i need to go back to school because the light that was staying on was the YELLOW indicator light. Iv only drove this car once or twice and theres a problem with the circuit because that light stays on continuously and it says "B" on on it.

So as you guys obviously know thats the indicator.

Now my Diagnosis with the alternator has changed. the battery light in the dash does not come on at all.

PROBLEM : Charge indicator light does not come on when ignition switch is on (drive position)

SOLUTION: Charge indicator bulb defective, or wiring in D+ circuit defective.

Replace charge indicator bulb; check continuity of wiring in D+ circuit (between ignition switch, instrument panel, voltage reg. and alt.)

I tried these, im not the best with a volt meter.

a) I replaced fan belt.

B) I changed the wiring loom to the back of the alternator, its now nice and tight.

i changed the voltage regulator

i checked the wiring and seems ok

the alternator was reconditioned at a cost of €200 6 months ago ( has not been used yet)

Changed battery

to date my battery will still not hold a charge.

Ok so i spent a couple hours on it last week,

Turns out i need to go back to school because the light that was staying on was the YELLOW indicator light. Iv only drove this car once or twice and theres a problem with the circuit because that light stays on continuously and it says "B" on on it.

So as you guys obviously know thats the indicator.

Now my Diagnosis with the alternator has changed. the battery light in the dash does not come on at all.

PROBLEM : Charge indicator light does not come on when ignition switch is on (drive position)

SOLUTION: Charge indicator bulb defective, or wiring in D+ circuit defective.

Replace charge indicator bulb; check continuity of wiring in D+ circuit (between ignition switch, instrument panel, voltage reg. and alt.)

I tried these, im not the best with a volt meter.

a) I replaced fan belt.

B) I changed the wiring loom to the back of the alternator, its now nice and tight.

c) I changed the voltage regulator

d) I checked the wiring and seems ok

e) the alternator was reconditioned at a cost of €200 6 months ago ( has not been used yet)

f) Changed battery

to date my battery will still not hold a charge.