stefangetz

m42, m20 or e30?

15 posts / 2824 viewsLast Reply

im thinking of a motor swap....im sure this has been discused. i want a motor that is going to produce massive horsepower. any suggestions? not sure wether or not i want a 6 cylinder....although the idea does sound nice. i like the e30 evolution 2 but i have to be practical. does anyone know or have experience with any of these motors and their specifications. turbo or NA and i think i want a DOHC unless convinced otherwise. so again thanks for all your help in advance.

If you have the skills to perform the swap I would take the m42 route. Talk about one happy little revving engine!! Can be cheaply bought, and modified (chip) to get to 150-160 hp. It's a light engine so it doesn't kill the car's balance like a heavier m20 would, but maintain the 02 spirit. It easely matches up to the m10's bulletproofness - some have over 300k miles on them without a rebuild.

Horsepower is only half the story. A turbo is nice but not if it destroys the car's character.

there can be only one

E30 S14 m3 motor at the end of all the beer

or pot smoking debates.

Those other motors are cheeper to buy,

but too big, too heavy, poor output per cc displacement,

and why bother anyway. S14 is the only wurthy organ

for a transplant

S14motorcutaway.jpg

I also like the idea of the M-42. But I have had the idea of a stockish looking M20 late 02......

Gotta sell that other money pit.

John

does the m42 come out of the 318? hhhmmmm i figured this would be a popular one. is it dual or single OHC. honestly as far as character the car is a little bomb shell but i may want to stay away from turbos and the tuning that is is involved. and plus i like an all motor beast

there can be only one

or pot smoking debates.

hahah nice dude. this motor is a 4 cylinder right. i was trying to tell this dude that i wanted the m3 4 cylinder and he looked at me like i was crazy. told me they were all 6's. is it a 2.3 or something. what kind of power does it push stock or tuned. ive seen 800hp e30 m3's. im not looking for anything that crazy but i would like massive power. so how much would one of these cost me.

Yep, the S14 is a 4-cylinder. It's probably the best motor you can stuff into a 02, but its $$$$$$$. Also, I reaaaally doubt those E30s that you saw making 800+ HP still had S14s. A lot of guys swap S50/S52s into E30 M3s, since they handle the weight and power of the straight six well. Of course, in a 2002 you don't need more than 250-300 RWHP to be scary fast.

there can be only one

or pot smoking debates.

hahah nice dude. this motor is a 4 cylinder right. i was trying to tell this dude that i wanted the m3 4 cylinder and he looked at me like i was crazy. told me they were all 6's. is it a 2.3 or something. what kind of power does it push stock or tuned. ive seen 800hp e30 m3's. im not looking for anything that crazy but i would like massive power. so how much would one of these cost me.

Stock 2.3 makes about 192 hp at crank while stroker 2.5 aboout 225 hp, both with stock engine management. Evo block w/ fancy pistons, etc will hit 300 reliably, and will only cost about 80% the price of a nice e30 M3...

What about an m42 w/ a Downing S/C?

so your saying i should stroke the 2.3 or does a 2.5 stroker come availible. and forgive me but im not sure what the downing s/c is

preferably aluminum block.

And big.

Good luck keeping the rest of the car together.

But if power is what you want, you need 8 pots

t

M42 all the way. It's a great engine. My brother has a 94 318is with a little over 400,000 km on it and it's still going strong - never had a rebuild and still pulls as strong as ever. I'm very impressed with this engine and is my engine of choice for a 2002.

As was said, they're cheap so you won't break the bank on this swap. They're also low maintenance and supercharger kits are available from Downing Atlanta.

Can't wait to put one in my car!

I also agree with the M42 swap route, or even an M44. The M42 came in the later e30 318's and early e36 318's. The M44 replaced the M42 in the e36 in 1996, but is essentially the same. But there is one distinction that I would like to make between the e30 and the e36 cars that ran an M42 motor: the e36 had a dual runner intake. I think this made it more efficient and more powerful than the M42's that came in the e30's.

I am basing this opinion on the following testimonial:

I used to have a 1995 318ti with an M42 and dual runner intake(stock) and my friend had 1991 318is with an M42 and single runner intake(stock). I loved it mechanically speaking. I had 160K and got roughly 30-31 mpg on the highway and while my friends e30 318is got 26 mpg. Plus my 318ti was significantly heavier. Now, I know that there are other differences between the two cars that contributed to this, but I think that having two sets of tuned intake runners contributed significantly to the increased fuel mileage and power in my ti. Also, I am sure the computer/fuel mapping was different and a little more sophisticated.

Anyway that is my two cents.

If you do a swap write it up in the FAQ.

Since when do you need a V8 for power? Ever heard of a boosted straight 6? That's what those 800HP M3s are using, and Toyota/Nissan have made BIG numbers on the 2JZ and RB series blocks. A V8 for power is just for those who haven't figured out forced induction yet :)

Also, for the OP, just what do you mean by "big power"? Anything over 300HP is really pushing a 2002 chassis, and over 400 would require some major work. An E30 would be a better big power platform (though over 400 in an E30 will also require work).

I would go with the m42 , this is going to be the next most popular engine upgrade

m44 is OBDII. stay away from it, too much headache to swap.

and the downing atlanta kit is no longer made so if you want boost you either have to fab your own kit or find a used downing somewhere and good luck.