• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

200hp 02

ozgeorge

does a 200is HP '02 feel very fast? my current late model car is a turbo charged 205hp and weights 1600kg... it feels very fast when turbo kicks in. an 02 weights about 1000kg... should feel FASTER??

thoughts? experience?

ozgeorge

My Turbo is running somewhere in the 190-200hp range. Haven't had it on a dyno since the addtion of the IC, so don't know exactly, probably low 190's as it was 185 without it, but with low oncoming boost it is swift, stimulating and with the other supporting mods, the nicest car I've ever driven...period! Do it!

yeah.. i have a freshly rebuilt engine and am gathering cash (selling cars!) to build it up to my ideal daily drive. the EFI turbo route is looking like the way to go so i was just wondering what people thought about performance.

the compression on the new engine is 10:1 (built it before i was thinking about turbo) which might be a bit limiting but should be ok for mid boost and electronic ignition? damn pinging....

cheers

ozgeorge

Seems to me that 200 hp (not sure how you are panning to get there) is about perfect. Mine makes about 270 (s14 2.5) crank and that means lots of other tweaks (cage, brakes, suspension, etc.) to make it balanced and safe.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

Gday George,

I think you'll find that 10:1 will be a bit high. Most turbo guys will look around the 8:1 range. By all means try it if you feel like it but prepare for the worst to happen.

Can I suggest an alternative. Find a stock motor ($50), T28 or T3 (i'd go a T28) Garrett (cheap), boost brothers manifold (cheap), ebay cooler (cheap), some decent injectors and a fuel pump, and in my honest opinion, a Motec, Haltech or Autronic engine management. We come from the land down under where we are blessed to have manufacturers making these fantastic ECU's - second hand for about the cost of a new Megasquirt setup. This way, you can experiment and not worry about blowing up a new motor you've put so much time and effort into.

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

does a 200is HP '02 feel very fast? my current late model car is a turbo charged 205hp and weights 1600kg... it feels very fast when turbo kicks in. an 02 weights about 1000kg... should feel FASTER??

thoughts? experience?

ozgeorge

If your horsepower is very peaky, your car will not feel or be very fast. You may be making 200 hp at 6000 RPM, and someone else with a 160 hp may have a faster car if the horsepower band is wider.

Modern cars with variable lift, duration, knock sensors, direct injection, and sophisticated engine management can run higher compression than old turbos. Turbo technology has improved as well as exhaust flow to make turbos spool earlier and faster. The engine is designed to be turboed from the get-go. Their power range is a lot wider and they produce torque at very low revs, something unheard of in the early turbo cars which suffered from turbo lag.. And when you turbo your own, you can't even come close to matching the technology of new cars.

Have you driven a factory 2002 turbo? While they are rare, expensive and cool looking, driving them is no fun. The engine is either on or off. And when it's on, watch out, but it's off most of the time.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. The car will be faster than stock, that's for sure.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

thoughts? experience?

ozgeorge

Like Pierre said, there are other things that will affect performance. A 200hp 2002 will "feel" much faster than a 200hp modern car, and twice as scary. Probably the most limiting item after 100mph is aerodynamics, and there is not much you can do about that. But I think you are on the right track, you mention the word "feel", which in my opinion, that is what these cars are all about. If you have a vision of what you want your car should feel like, once you get there you will love it.

FAQ Member # 91

When my 02 had the stock m20 running megasquirt and headers, it was really quick. Everyone who got in it was laughing when they got out, as nobody expected it to haul that much ass. And that would have been just under 200hp. Basic setup with HR/bils/ST/volvos.

The first turbo I put on spooled really quick (but ran out of steam by 5000rpm), and made it seem rediculously fast on the street, as boost was pretty much full on by 2700rpm. Never dynoed that but probably less than 250hp.

The new turbo..well...now its just stupid :).

Anyways, my personal opinion is that a 200hp 2002 (with the torque to back it up) would be pretty much be a perfect street/autox/HPDE car (along with the proper suspension, brakes, etc).

Actually, make that 200.2hp ..

Matt

The thing I like about my turbo motor most is the fact that I can be whipping along on the Hwy at any speed/gear and step on it a little bit and the car just surges forward. No, it isn't quite as responsive as the MCS, but lag is no more noticeable than on my '05 Outback Turbo. My boost comes in at about 1600-1800 rpm. Much different than the stock spec turbowhich came in at 3500-4000, deepending upon the wear of the components. Again, my specs are factory Mahle 6.9:1 pistons, 8-8.5 # boost. Stock balanced conn rods. Sodium exh valves are req'd and expensive. Stock cam. The IC is shown on some of the photos from V@V. Throttle control and smoothness are really very nice, so it is driveabiltiy in the broadest rpm range.

I cannot compare it to the tii. I have never driven one. Just standards and the turbo, but the power in my turbo does not overwhelm the chassis. It is a gas to drive.

For my part there seems to be more and more discussion of turbos on '02's. I think everyone has, rightfully, been enamoured with the high rpm S14 conversion and the twin 40's up to this point, but the components are out there to make a sweet efi M10 turbo motor. I'd like to get another built for the 72. It doesn't need a motor, but, damn, not sure I can say no to this...but I have to try for a while!

Hi,

This is a great topic, since a couple of weeks ago I was surfin Ebay and Boost Brothers had several Turbo Manifolds listed for $1 Min Bid - No reserve (They must have been trying to pay the Rent). So with a glass of wine in hand I threw down $50 on a couple and low and behold for $43+$30 shipping I am the proud owner of a new Turbo manifold. (It is really a pretty nice piece of work.) Thats when reality set in and realized that this "Deal" could very well cost me several thousand dollars by the time I was done.

My question is, If one had a Turbo Manifold, was willing to spend say $2002, what would YOU build for a motor, to be the most Fun driver?

Mark

73tii

Hi,

This is a great topic, since a couple of weeks ago I was surfin Ebay and Boost Brothers had several Turbo Manifolds listed for $1 Min Bid - No reserve (They must have been trying to pay the Rent). So with a glass of wine in hand I threw down $50 on a couple and low and behold for $43+$30 shipping I am the proud owner of a new Turbo manifold. (It is really a pretty nice piece of work.) Thats when reality set in and realized that this "Deal" could very well cost me several thousand dollars by the time I was done.

My question is, If one had a Turbo Manifold, was willing to spend say $2002, what would YOU build for a motor, to be the most Fun driver?

Mark

Check out Pinepig's build blog in the project blog section - all you'll want! :)

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

You turbo guys...

;-)

Hi,

Mark

Check out Pinepig's build blog in the project blog section - all you'll want! :)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

You turbo guys...

;-)

Hi,

Mark

You, silly white and black car owner ;-P

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Gentlemen,

This is a very timely subject as I am preparing to rebuild my '76's motor for turbo. I too, like Pigpen, got a pretty good deal on a Boost Bros. manifold off Ebay (unfortunately, not quite as good a deal). I'm looking for a suitable turbo for this engine.

I'm looking for the kind of performance JackF has achieved with his car. I've heard a lot about the GT28 series and it's a front-runner in my mind - but then there are the T3/T4 hybrids. Comments on these? In your descriptions, you don't mention what turbo you're using. The more detailed info the better!

Can a T3 manifold be modified to use a T28 unit?

Thanks,

SkidMarc