Sign in to follow this  
ash00

OT: Finally got Blunt's E30 through the california BAR!

24 posts / 4523 viewsLast Reply

Number of years attempting the BAR inspection: 1.5 years

Number of times through: 5

Number of months on hold while the budget crisis was sorted: 4

Number of laws that changed in that amount of time: 4

Number of catalytic converters sitting in my stock pile due to law changes: 7

Days taken off of work to get things sorted according to their standards: 15

Number of smog stations that still wouldn't smog the car even after getting the sticker (new law as of April 15th that the BAR station doesn't actually perform the verifying emissions test): 3

The look on my face after they finally said "where do you want your sticker?": Priceless.

This has been by far the most aggravating, painstakingly annoying, rediculous process that I've been through. If this is where our tax money is going....

Now its time for a supercharger and a chip...

post-401-13667607038316_thumb.jpg

A little backround story would help....

I am unfamiliar with this, but it seems pretty sweet, and aweseom you got it done!

horray!

Wow.

I use to say you Cali. boys have it all. year round sunshine, all the shows, all the girls. I wish I lived out there.

Now I see you DO have it all.

All the fires, floods, eathquakes and politics & red tape.

That is brutal. You have to go through that for every car you get???

I take it you can't buy a winter beater for $200 and drive it till you coast to the roadside and pick it up three weeks later or let the migrants strip it and carry it off for you by the time you get back.

The more I hear about California, the more I realize that I could never make it out there. Is there a part of the State where you can be and not have to deal with all the B.S. I read about. Maybe up north and the laws are less constricting and you can live a layed back life or is it all the same within the State.

It seems like you guys come up with the wierdest laws in the world.

EDIT: Can you drive your cars until you get the sticker within a specified time frame??? Do you have to go through this every year or is it good for the next ten years

Also above mentioned said "Steve will be happy to get his plates back"

Can you drive with someone else's plates on your car out there? That's illegal as hell here. (I think everywhere). If you can do that I'd start printing stickers.

Last question. How often do the cops pull you over out there to look for this sticker?

Sorry...

A little history...

So Steve offered his S52 E30 monster car for sale, and I had to jump on it. I flew up to MN, hung out for a day or so, and then drove the un-catalytic convertised, rollcaged torque monster on one good arm (just came out of shoulder surgery #1), no radio- just 2,000 miles of droning.

When I came back to CA, I started the fun process of titling which for an out of state car involves a VIN verification through a police officer, registration applications and a smog check. I looked into it, threw on a new exhaust system with two cat's and went to smog station. They refused since the motor was different. I then went to the BAR (bureau of automotive repair) stations which conduct the engine swap visual inspections to ensure all the equipment is still in tact and similar to the S50 95 M3 that I claimed it to be. Thats when the fun began.

Everytime there was a new law that stated that the cat's I was using aren't legal, then the position of them, then the 02 sensor location, then the new cat laws again, and the ECU, new cats again, and the EVAP system..........everything on this car was sorted, but they'd nail me on the stupidest things. This of course was after going through the state budget crisis where they shut down the inspection facilities for months on end, and having multiple shops flat out refusing my inspection since they "couldn't get into the car with the cage" and said that everything in this car is illegal. Funny thing was, it passed the actual emissions test and they still wouldn't let me go.

Arg!! but its done now. Steve will finally get his plates back for his Agent Orange beast, and now I can finally move on

Well, now that I have the sticker- all I have to do is take it to a smog station rather than the BAR for inspection. The smog station will test general things including gas cap, evap system, check engine light, PCV, emissions under load at 1300rpm and 2500 rpm. This of course is still "iffy" on the the fact that the shop can still refuse my car--as they did on Friday.

I know your pain, I had a 85 euro 323i that I could only take to a test only station every two years. My mechanic would test on his machine and it would pass then take it to the test only station and it would fail. Finally after the 8th time it passed, 850 dollars for a smog check. I traded in the car before the next smog check. That is one of the reasons I keep my 2002. Good luck in the future. Thomas Kowalke

Thank God I live in NC due to my 73 being over 35 years...no more inspection..which is good cause.. I'mmm, not so sure about my lights..or horn...or wipers..no converters...blinkers some of the time...cracked windshield (but that the passengers side)...Tail lights who knows..never back there..Hey but I do have brand new tires and a sunroof...what else do you need...

Very similar experience and amount of aggravation I went through when I imported my 40 year old car into Canada and attempted to pass a local safety inspection. Never again, I ve had enough of this bureaucratic crap for years to come.

congratulations, you probably just doubled the value of the car in CA! HAHAHA.. It really is the luck of the draw with the inspectors. If you get a nice one, he'll let you know exactly what to do. If not, ur screwed. Hell, it's hard enough to get a B18C in a Civic, and those get passed all the time.

Right on Aash! I know how much of a pain that was!! I'm sure that relieved a bit of stress.

It's going to be your daily driver right... HAHAHA

If I sell my 318is then yes...if this 318ti that i'm looking at works out...then...yes still!

with a Subaru 2.2 conversion into a Vanagon Synchro - three different CA BAR Smog Referree stations ran him around the barn a half dozen times for utterly absurd detail revisions (like not having the rear 02 sensor bung on the proper side of the cat flange). Adding insult to injury was the fact that the first time the car was tested, the actual tailpipe emissions were less than 20% of the original wasserboxer values across the board - the only objections they ever had were detail visual issues.

Looked to me like the guys at the referree stations were justifying their existance by generating a bunch of paperwork to show how well they're doing their jobs.........

As far as someone's question about avoiding all this BS goes, folks in CA do have ONE thing going for them - a pretty solid supply of rust free older cars and trucks that don't ever have to be smogged. If you're willing to (or prefer to) drive older vehicles, you can dodge the whole emissions issue all together.............