• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My trip to the Vintage

kris

I know, we are on Vintage overload, but I thought I would add a few from my trip from Toronto down to the Vintage and back. Total distance was about 2100 miles, far surpassing my previous longest trip of 500 miles. The car, which I finished restoring last October, ran really well with no issues. It was actually a revelation as the car was really comfortable and fun on the highway; I thought something so good in the twisties would really be a let down on the interstates.

I drove down via Dayton Ohio where I was entertained by the Jim Denker family who were good enough to put me up for a night along with Blunt, Joseph O'Neil, Mike (02 Monster) and Vince from Chicago. Next day we went in Caravan down to Mt. Airy led by Mike Self and picking up more and more cars along the way.

I've never been to a big show, and I came away really impressed with the camaraderie of the BMW crowd, and the great people I met from the board. This will not be my last trip to the Vintage.

Cruising the 401 in a sweet Merc (60 miles into the drive)

IMG_3806.JPG

Crossing into Michigan from Sarnia, ON...bye, bye km/h

IMG_3809.JPG

That gas thing looks like a basketball

IMG_3811.JPG

Parking for Mexican food in Dayton, Auto parts store silently calling me as I worried about what would bust on my car

IMG_3812.JPG

Jim's driveway with a lot of machinery

IMG_3821.JPG

Day 2 - Dayton to Mt. Airy - driving across Ohio and towards the Mtns

IMG_3822.JPG

Cool bridge the takes you over the Ohio river into W. Virginia

IMG_3823.JPG

backroads

IMG_3827.JPG

closing in on the real mtns

IMG_3831.JPG

First car I saw in Mt. Airy was Dirk's covertible, nice start to the weekend

IMG_3832.JPG

Sam Adams' tii, my tii

IMG_3836.JPG

Lined up for Sat AM drive

IMG_3846.JPG

Nice roads

IMG_3853.JPG

Arrival

IMG_3855.JPG

tii's

IMG_3862.JPG

IMG_3865.JPG

IMG_3866.JPG

IMG_3867.JPG

IMG_3892.JPG

IMG_3893.JPG

IMG_3896.JPG

IMG_3903.JPG

IMG_3904.JPG

IMG_3905.JPG

tii plus boost

IMG_3915.JPG

Max Hoffman Alpina tii

IMG_3919.JPG

IMG_3930.JPG

Dobson to Asheville drive (wet and fun)

IMG_3932.JPG

IMG_3937.JPG

IMG_3938.JPG

Vanderbilt estate

IMG_3941.JPG

IMG_3967.JPG

IMG_3969.JPG

IMG_3979.JPG

Cruising back to Toronto (did it in one day, 13.5 hrs)

IMG_3988.JPG

almost home

IMG_3989.JPG

70 M2 2.5L 

Kris

Again I regret we did not have the chance to meet. I admired your car all weekend.

What transmission and rear gear set are you running?

See you in the future.

bill

KrisTobiascar.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Kris

Again I regret we did not have the chance to meet. I admired your car all weekend.

What transmission and rear gear set are you running?

See you in the future.

bill

[/img]

Hi Bill, likewise, hope to make it to Pittsburgh this year. I'm running and e21 5 speed and diff.

cheers

70 M2 2.5L 

Hi Chris,

Glad I got to see your Schwartz beauty (I had the ashtray's...). Just curious about the shot of the instrument cluster; full tank, 75mph, proper revs....temp gauge out, or running Really cool....? I still think that you should've received an honorable mention for your trip distance...Great pictures, thanks for sharing the trip with us.

And thanks to all of the folks that bought a thing or two from the Volvo wagon... Dave V. in NC

Hi Chris,

Glad I got to see your Schwartz beauty (I had the ashtray's...). Just curious about the shot of the instrument cluster; full tank, 75mph, proper revs....temp gauge out, or running Really cool....? I still think that you should've received an honorable mention for your trip distance...Great pictures, thanks for sharing the trip with us.

And thanks to all of the folks that bought a thing or two from the Volvo wagon... Dave V. in NC

Hey Dave you have a keen eye! I run a supplementary temp gauge in a Parker console panel. I have both wired but if I keep the dash temp gauge plugged in they both read off by about 10 degrees. I think I need a different resistor to make it work.

Your euro bumper car looked great!

70 M2 2.5L 

Sounds like a great adventure! See ya next time.

I might even think about bringing my '02.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Hey Kris,

It was nice meeting you...thought I would pass along a photo i took of your car and the one of our cars together. We took another day and went to Tenn for more driving! It was an awesome trip and I hope to see everyone next year!

-Sue

post-2419-13667607059219_thumb.jpg

post-2419-1366760706011_thumb.jpg

72 Inka tii

03 Orient Blue 330xi

Kris -

Thanks for sharing your pictures and experiences at the Vintage. I'm bound and determined to make all the drives next year - no matter what.

I'm jealous of all the "easy cruisers" running 5 speeds. That will be me someday.

See you in Pittsburgh?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Good job representing the Great White North.

Hope to see you at Mospost vintages in a couple of weeks.

One question though. At the Vanderbilt Estate, someone went to a great deal of trouble setting the cars up for a group shot. But where is that shot?

I've seen a few different angles, but not the main "hero" shot.

Good job representing the Great White North.

Hope to see you at Mospost vintages in a couple of weeks.

One question though. At the Vanderbilt Estate, someone went to a great deal of trouble setting the cars up for a group shot. But where is that shot?

I've seen a few different angles, but not the main "hero" shot.

That shot will be for sale for $40 US I think, there were someone on site taking applications but I was tapped at the time.

70 M2 2.5L 

Hey Kris,

Enjoyed meeting you and seeing your beautiful car at Vintage. My electrical problems kept me under the hood most of the weekend in the Hampton parking lot, so I missed the Saturday morning drive. Will look for you again next year.

Garry

03' Mini Cooper S

73 2002tii A4 (sold )

67 Mini Coooper S (sold 3/06)