dubois

anybody here drives this car?

11 posts / 3489 viewsLast Reply

or knows who the driver is?

the picture was taken at the Vintage Race in Laguna Seca on April 26:

BMW 2002

Definitely has more cojones that I will ever have!

as that photo is not from Laguna regardless of what the link says. Look at the (what looks like to me) Joshua Tree in the background and the flat desert terrain. It could be one of the tracks in SoCal or Arizona. Someone should recognize the track here and localize the '02 better. Look at the other pics in the set. It could even be Monterrey, Mexico (as that's the spelling) as the designer concrete wall a corner worker is standing on is a track feature I don't recognize

3479021766_959155c0bd_b.jpg

Flag on rear of car appears to be Mexico, and on some of the other cars, flags and names, and one of the banners in the back ground on one shot says somethng about Monterrey. I think F1's correct...Dave V. in NC

as these features are not on tracks in the US, plus I seem to remember that the Monterrey, Mexico track has lights too, and there are plenty of light poles in the background of these shots. Some of these cars appear to be US racers from the markings, and it's not too far of a tow from the US. I can't quite tell if the ELF sponsered car is an Alpine A110 or some other Alpine or Matra. Very interesting that vintage events are held in Mexico. Quite a few of the shots have cars on two wheels. Good find Dubois.

Anyone know about the '02 world in Mexico?

Here's a link to this photographer's galleries in flickr . . .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

3479050494_afb4ed4bb4_b.jpg

I'd love to shoot photos at this track, as it's like the old days as far as access goes I'm sure.

So the '02 could be from Texas or New Mexico or Arizona if a US car, but the Mexican flag means it probably isn't.

3560130155_c0212a3726_b.jpg

Autodromo Monterrey info . . .

http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/tracks/monterre.html

monterre.jpg

Some youtube videos of vintage racing at the Autodormo at this link . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/vikoduran

I can't believe I did that, I read Monterey and Vintage racing and "assumed" Monterey, CA. The ultimate geo-centered faux pas - have I lived in CA too long? Oops, sorry again!

people by the goverments and the rich of Mexico, they do have a great racing history and tradition in Mexico.

I was lucky enough to see the fine Mexican driver Pedro Rodriguez race this BRM at the Questor Grand Prix here at Ontario Motor Speedway back in 1971. Pedro was killed in a European Interserie race (their CanAm back then) later that year. The Autodromo Ricardo Rodriguez is in Mexico DF (Mexico City) and named after Pedro's brother, who was killed in 1962 running in the first Formula One (non-championship) Mexican GP at the same track . . .

Ricardo at the fatal race . . .

wh-mex62.jpg

Pedro's BRM V-12. The sound of the engine was the polar opposite of a Matra V-12 -- the BRM had such a low tone that it vibrated every bone in your body, and at Ontario there were three of 'em, Pedro, Jo Siffert and Howden Ganley. The sound of the BRM motors blew me away . . .

BRMP153PedroRodriguez1970_1.jpg

That's surprisingly easy to do...

and looks scarier from outside than it does on the inside!

t

That's surprisingly easy to do...

and looks scarier from outside than it does on the inside!

t

Pinch the exit of Buttonwillow's "bus stop" by just a few inches and it'll happen . . . car lands unsettled, lose speed. Smooth is fast. -KB

Guest Anonymous

I like this picture....

img_4017-1.jpg

Ok, I haven't posted this one in a long time, some of you may recognize where it was taken:

Hosting provided by FotoTime