MikeWooldridge

Ignition switch/ overhead light

5 posts / 888 viewsLast Reply

OK, I've done the search and come to the conclusion that on a '74tii, there is no Grey wire going to the spade on the ignition switch which powers the turn signals. The question is...where is the wire that provides "hot" when the ignition is on that goes to the hazard switch. Wouldn't it have to come from the ignition switch? Thanks for your help.

By the way, the signals work fine when hooked to a "hot" wire. I just want to do it right and am curious about the blank spade terminal on the ignition switch.

EDIT: OK...FYI...I was right...there is no grey wire attached to the ignition on my '74. Power comes from the purple/white wire going to the hazard switch. It also has a nice accessory plug for a switched wire if you need it. My purple/white wire had been cut for some reason. Reattached it and now everything works as it should with the turn signals. Now to try and figure out why the overhead light doesn't come on when the doors are open, but work fine when turned on manually at the light. Any help would be appreciated.

your driver door has a switch/button that opens/closes when the door makes contact w/ it. When you open the door, the switch makes contact w/ chassis ground, which is sent to your light. If you unscrew the 1 screw on the switch you may be able to just clean it (the wire connector), or the switch may be broken, as they do. Touch the 1 wire to ground w/ the switch out & see if you get light. (don't let the wire sneak back through the hole or you'll be fishing it out later) The screw that holds the switch in has to be clean as well. It's threads making contact w/ the chassis metal are providing the ground to the switch. That may be corroded.

Also, you have a switch in the light which may just need cleaning.

Wow........hard to imagine how some things are so simple when done right. The wires were incorrectly attached at the dome light. I placed the hot wire to the single pole and the two ground wires to the switch side and both functions work like they should. Two problems solved in one evening. That may be a record for me.

The things genius POs do to 02 wiring is mind-boggling.

The purple/white wire is usually used to power a radio. Sounds like a PO butchered it adding or removing a radio.