no-id

Questions about brake booster removal and install?

14 posts / 3091 viewsLast Reply

I need to replace the brake booster in my 69’ 02. I would really like to do the work myself to save some money, besides, I like the satisfaction of knowing I did the work myself.

Does anybody know of any step by step tutorials I could reference for the removal and install of the new booster? Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

From the looks off it, I need to remove the brake lines from the MC to remove it from the booster, then unbolt the booster from the bracket and replace with new part. I know there has to be more to it than that, which is the info i’m looking for.

So if anybody can recommend any sites where I can find this info, or volunteer his/her own insight that would be fantastic!

Thanks!

It is that easy, you don't have to remove the brake lines just unbolt, slide the master cylinder forward and out of the way and pull the clip to release the pin. Once you do that put the new BB in and reverse process. You may have to gently massage the brakes lines to get them to move forward and get the MC out of the way, also I had to remove the reservoir to make alittle more room. The lower bolts can be a real PITA.

Hmm, cool thanks! I thought there would be a need to bleed the brakes or something along those lines for some reason.

Are there any seals or anything I may need to replace in conjunction with the booster, or is it really just a matter unbolting the mc and booster and replacing with the new unit? Seems easy enough. Anything I may need a heads up on? I assume the PITA bolts you’re referring to are the ones down low on the bracket?

totally easy as stated above - leave the master fluid lines alone

DO HAVE A NEW SPECIAL SEALING O-RING

FOR THE MASTER TO BOOSTER JOINT,

NO SEAL OR OLD ROTTON SEAL = NO VACUUM

big air leak and no Brake Boosting.

Maybe that's your problem now - no rubber sealing o-ring ?

02pedalbrakegas.jpg

I should add, I only know this because CD, Matt McGinn, and Rob Torres all talked me thru the simplicity of the deal! I've changed a total of 5, the last one took 30 minutes, those lower bolts can be a biooootch it there is any corrosion hard area to get torque on. PB the heck outta them if they don't crack immediately. The first time will take around 1-2 hrs. The worst park is getting the clip back on the pin!! I should check the o-ring on the 3 I have lying around, Thanks CD!

I should add, I only know this because CD, Matt McGinn, and Rob Torres all talked me thru the simplicity of the deal! I've changed a total of 5, the last one took 30 minutes, those lower bolts can be a biooootch it there is any corrosion hard area to get torque on. PB the heck outta them if they don't crack immediately. The first time will take around 1-2 hrs. The worst park is getting the clip back on the pin!! I should check the o-ring on the 3 I have lying around, Thanks CD!

Which seal are you talking about. Are you referring to the o ring behind the elbow where the vaccum hose attaches, or are you referring to one inside that isn’t visible until the booster is removed from the car?

Where are you sourcing your parts? I need a new brake booster as well as it seems to be leaking. Where did you buy it? I dont see it listed on Irelands website..

Sorry that link wont work and I still cant find it, only the master cylinder.

IE offers rebuilt boosters for $195 with a $125 fully refundable core charge. Not too bad considering you know it’s rebuilt and will work properly. I think your best bet is to just call around various BMW shops and see what they have. I found mine on the for sale forum, just keep your eyes open and something will pop up sooner or later. You could also put up a WTB in the For Sale thread.