beast02er

Fixing the Hazard switch

7 posts / 1129 viewsLast Reply

Ok, i've done a few searches and can't quite come up with the answer i'm looking for.....probably due to my searching skills.

Anyway, I have the classic hazard switch problem, it pops out and won't stay in when pushed back. I figure it can be fixed, problem is, how do you get to the inside to get to the fix? Seems there are about 6 tabs preventing you from opening it up, any ideas how to push these all down at once?

Anyway, i'd like to fix before I buy a new one. Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Bryan

red73

Honestly, If I were you, I would'nt waste the time.

You can try to fix it. It willl last maybe a couple cycles of the switch and presto, broken again.

Buy a new one. They last a long time. They're also a PITA to access.

Cris

Ok, i've done a few searches and can't quite come up with the answer i'm looking for.....probably due to my searching skills.

Anyway, I have the classic hazard switch problem, it pops out and won't stay in when pushed back. I figure it can be fixed, problem is, how do you get to the inside to get to the fix? Seems there are about 6 tabs preventing you from opening it up, any ideas how to push these all down at once?

Anyway, i'd like to fix before I buy a new one. Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Bryan

red73

I have had good luck fixing hazard switches.

The two parts do separate. Pushing the 6 tabs simultaneously is a challenge. I use a small screwdriver to insert between the two parts and pry them apart. In fact, the plastic is fairly soft at that location.

Once separated, you can see the metal rod that has a little nub that rides a track. You can reinsert the switch part without the housing and it will be obvious.

The switch fails when the metal rod bends out over years of use. If you have two pairs of small needle nose pliers, you can bend it back so that the little nub does not slip out of the track.

Someone wrote up on this a while ago with pictures. I could not find it.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck

Guest Anonymous

I don't remember how to weasel the tabs loose but once you've got it apart, find where the wire catch spring engages the plastic indent. Bend the spring slightly to increase its tension and carefully dress up the plastic indent with a small Dremel bit, a jeweler's file or whatever you have.

Guest Anonymous

or jam a toothpick in there like tens of thousands of other drivers have done over the last four decades...

Seriously though, the tips above on how to repair it are good advice, definately worthwhile to try before buying a new switch.

When you get most of the tabs disengaged, prepare for the internal parts to go sproing! Hold the two halves together and separate them slowly. Bend the rod with the pin in the direction of the pin.

The toothpick method is dicey because it's hard to keep the button in the position that keeps the turn signals working.