Franchise

Restoration Item List, Tips, & Advice

8 posts / 1275 viewsLast Reply

I currently have a modded 74 02 with cancer. I'm looking for a roller to swap all my good bits and am putting together a list of things to take care of at the same time.

So far the list I have consists of:

engine, trans, and diff mounts

new suspension bushings, urethane

wheel bearings

wiring

brakes and Stainless brake lines

steering box

strip the interior, repaint inside

replace window seals

is there anything else I should address at the same time?

Any Tips and Advice are greatly Appreciated, Thanks

I currently have my interior stripped down as well right now. My next steps are laying down new sound deadening material, replacing insulation in the pedal box, laying out new carpet (wire any speaker/stereo stuff if running any), if you're popping out the glass, do the headliner at that time as well.

When you strip down the interior, it may seem like alot of work to remove the old sound deadening/tar paper stuff from the floor, but it is well worth the work. Rust and corrosion may be starting down there, and you won't know until its too late unless you remove the old stuff. My buddy Le (Draco)...I need to mention him or else he might get all hurt...taught me the dry ice trick where you score the old stuff with a blade and lay out dry ice over it for a few minutes. Then hit it with a hammer and it pops right off. After you've removed it, if there are any spots starting to rust a little, grind it down a bit, use some metal prep and POR15 it before laying anything back over.

Hope that helps some, good luck...

If the heater box has not been refurbed, now would be the ideal time. If it's a sunroof car raplace the drain tubes and POR15 the drain channels that run under the back of the roof..new cables. Would also be a good time to do the battery relocation if you are considering it.

I'm sure you'll run into plenty of "while you're in there" refurbs and upgrades.

Thanks For The Replies Guys, and the Dry Ice Trick! Exactly the type of thing I was hoping for with this thread.

I'm sure you'll run into plenty of "while you're in there" refurbs and upgrades.

Also Exactly the Reason for this Thread. I'm still fairly new to 02's and don't know the full ins and outs yet

this thread will also help me prepare a budget for time, money, and parts

I currently have a modded 74 02 with cancer. I'm looking for a roller to swap all my good bits and am putting together a list of things to take care of at the same time.

So far the list I have consists of:

engine, trans, and diff mounts

new suspension bushings, urethane

wheel bearings

wiring

brakes and Stainless brake lines

steering box

strip the interior, repaint inside

replace window seals

is there anything else I should address at the same time?

Any Tips and Advice are greatly Appreciated, Thanks

Add: rear subframe mounts

rubber spring seats

center track rod and pair of tie rods (if needed)

ball joints (if needed)

If you haven't driven a 2002 with poly urethane suspension bushings, I suggest you do before going that route. They are harsh on anything but the smoothest of roads, or a racetrack. I had poly bushings in for about 4 years, but recently went back to OE rubber, and couldn't be happier. I kept my poly engine, tranny and diff mounts though.