Bimjam02

pulling my hair out..engine starting issues

11 posts / 1296 viewsLast Reply

car hasnt been started in 2 years so i drained the fuel out of the tank and fuel lines, replaced the filter, replaced the spark plugs and wires. car was missing a dizzy when i bought it and i finally got one in the mail used a couple days ago still in good condition. the cap might need to be replaced since theres a little black on each of the metal tabs inside. i followed my haynes manual on installing the distributor and i think its right. i handpumped the fuel through the fuel lines to the carb and i cranked her over. i pulled one of the plugs to make sure i was getting spark and i was. sprayed some starting fluid in the carb cranked her over several more times and still nothin. i swapped the wires around thinkin i put them in the wrong order, still nothin, kept doin a whole bunch of things and nothin. i never connected the vacuum assist line to the carb. would that keep my engine from turning over? if so where do i connect it to on the carb? its a weber 32/36. any help is greatly appreciated. im running out of hair

either your ignition timing is way off....

or the firiing order of the plug wires is way off....

or your not filling up the float bowl in the carb.....

got any gas squirting down into the carb

from the accel. pump/nozzle?.....

cd is the man!

make sure your floats are not stuck closed or are opening enough...my 2 cents.

Guest Anonymous
car hasnt been started in 2 years

I handpumped the fuel through the fuel lines to the carb and i cranked her over. i pulled one of the plugs to make sure i was getting spark and i was. sprayed some starting fluid in the carb cranked her over several more times and still nothin. i swapped the wires around thinkin i put them in the wrong order, still nothin, kept doin a whole bunch of things and nothin. i never connected the vacuum assist line to the carb. would that keep my engine from turning over? if so where do i connect it to on the carb? its a weber 32/36. any help is greatly appreciated. im running out of hair

And still nothing?

Assuming the carb is not flowing due to stuck floats or plugged jets - and even if the ignition timing is way off, by spraying enough starting fluid into the the throat of the carb, you should have some response. I am not saying the engine would run, but flame out the carb, any crankshaft movement?

If you get some indication of life, I would plug any and all vacuum leaks before proceeding. (i never connected the vacuum assist line to the carb) ??? What vacuum assist? Vacuum ports should be connected or plugged.

Do you have compression? Are you getting spark to no. 1 cylinder on its compression stroke? After cranking and pumping the gas pedal, if you pull a plug is it wet with fuel? Fuel+air+compression=something.

im really thinkin its the firing order..i just want to wait until tomorrow to kind of cool off and give it a break for now. been working on it all day and im out of beer. im pretty sure the floats arent the issue. when i opened the throttle all the way and looked down the carb i saw fuel down there. i pulled the number 1 plug to see when i'd spark but i have no clue if it was sparking on the compression stroke. i am super super new to carbs and distributors, fuel injection is all ive driven besides my moped but i've never had to mess with it. i have a friend from work who's going to help me hopefully this weekend if he gets over the swine flu. its not really the swine flu but i keep makin fun of him for it. anyway without takin apart the carb is there a way to make sure the floats are opening? and for the vacuum line im talkin about it comes off the distributor and supposed to attach to the carb somewhere and acts to retard the timing at higher rpms just dont know how to hook it up

have you had any luck? on my 32/36 there is a little piece that sticks out of the carb on the bottom facing the intake manifold. sometimes, if it had a mechanical advance dizzy, they will be pluged or caped. i wish i had a pic to solidify what im trying to say.

my car would not start before with my 32/36 because the little green O rings around the jets came unseated. Check those and I really don't know what they are called but you will recognize them when you see them.

Guest Anonymous
im really thinkin its the firing order..i

You never describe exactly what happens when cranking the engine. Does it give any indication of rotating under its own power? I did not say running. If you get no explosions even uncontrolled, something else is off. You never described the state of your compression. If your valve timing is off, you may not have much. Since you never addressed your admitted vacuum leaks, this will complicate things for you too.

Setting the basic static ignition timing has been discussed in this forum and in the manuals ad nauseum. Even if your order is wrong, you will get some indication that you are getting spark to each cylinder. And, even if you removed the carb and sprayed starting fluid directly into the manifold, you would get some reaction.

im really thinkin its the firing order..i

You never describe exactly what happens when cranking the engine. Does it give any indication of rotating under its own power? I did not say running. If you get no explosions even uncontrolled, something else is off. You never described the state of your compression. If your valve timing is off, you may not have much. Since you never addressed your admitted vacuum leaks, this will complicate things for you too.

Setting the basic static ignition timing has been discussed in this forum and in the manuals ad nauseum. Even if your order is wrong, you will get some indication that you are getting spark to each cylinder. And, even if you removed the carb and sprayed starting fluid directly into the manifold, you would get some reaction.

after some more research today i think i put the dizzy in on the top of the exhaust stroke not the top of the compression stroke. when cranking the car made no change in sound as if it was trying to crank on its own. i made sure of this by unplugging the coil wire. it backfired a couple times out of the carb and thats about it. ill take some video tonight if i cant get her started.

heres a link to a video of her turning over..it did this everytime. no change other than the occasional backfire.

SHE LIVES! my dumb ass aligned the rotor wrong. i have the rev limiting rotor so i was lining up the rev kill spring contact instead of the other contact i was supposed to