Sign in to follow this  
-=Charley

How the h#ll do you sharpen drill bits?

8 posts / 1101 viewsLast Reply

Drill Doctor?? Mine are starting to turn into steel dowels.. just wondering if there's any tried and true methods out there or experience with the beloved Drill Dr.

I've been collecting dull drills for the last 20 years, when I have enough to justify equipment to sharpen them, I will get something like the drill doctor.

I believe all you need is a grinder to remove the dull metal. The angle is critical, and the the grinding should be equal on both sides. Looking at a bit, the flutes spiral, so the grinding has to be be "clocked" to maintain the same size tip (not sure if it is important).

I will bet that one can make some sort of a jig to accomplish the same thing as the drill doctor, ie if you have a bench grinder. I am picturing a 2x4 with a hole in it and a set screw kept with a c clamp. How people did it before the drill doctor?? If you were an apprentice machinist in Germany, they would only give you a hand file!

A Drill Doctor is relatively cheap. I purchased one from Lowe's for my woodworker dad a few years back and he loves it. They come in two different sizes depending on the bits you typically use.

I actually tried the hand file technique out of frustration and laziness.. didn't work for me. I'm not enough german!

I'm going to make an appointment with this Dr. Drill and report back.

How people did it before the drill doctor?? If you were an apprentice machinist in Germany, they would only give you a hand file!

if you have a drill that can be 'dressed' with a mere hand file, then you are in trouble. you'll need a sharpening stone to work the high speed steel of most drill bits.

i once watched a seasoned machinist sharpen a worn out bit for me by hand on a grinding wheel, no jigs or anything, complete with recessed fluting at the tip. he nailed it perfectly and was the sharpest bit i had at the time.

i pulled a rather nice Durex-brand industrial sharpener out of our scrap bin from work. if i ever find the proper grinding wheel for it i just might try it out.

How people did it before the drill doctor?? If you were an apprentice machinist in Germany, they would only give you a hand file!

if you have a drill that can be 'dressed' with a mere hand file, then you are in trouble. you'll need a sharpening stone to work the high speed steel of most drill bits.

i once watched a seasoned machinist sharpen a worn out bit for me by hand on a grinding wheel, no jigs or anything, complete with recessed fluting at the tip. he nailed it perfectly and was the sharpest bit i had at the time.

i pulled a rather nice Durex-brand industrial sharpener out of our scrap bin from work. if i ever find the proper grinding wheel for it i just might try it out.

Jerry, the story about the hand file and German apprentices was probably urban legend. When I worked for GE as a manufacturing engineer in Evendale, OH, in what was the largest machining and fabrication shop in the world, and argueably one of the most advanced, that was the rumor that was going around. We didn't even use high speed drills back then (circa early 80's), it was all carbide. I learned a few things here and there, including the how thick a RCH in mils was. Some of the stuff that we used to do, still amazes me, like drilling holes without a line of sight, penetrating a butt weld 3" thick with a heat affected zone of less than .250 on either side of the joint, then doing it 3 times over on parts below - each feet apart... I could go on, and on.

My brother was a machinist and could sharpen bits by hand. He showed me how several times but all I was able to do was take a useless bit and turn it into a shorter useless bit. Got a drill doctor for Xmas - simple to use and works great. Money well spent in my opinion.