Sign in to follow this  
AustrianVespaGuy

1.8i head for Megasquirt?

20 posts / 3319 viewsLast Reply

Hi, does anyone know if a 1.8i head (like in the attached pic) will fit on an 02 block? I'm considering this for my Megasquirt conversion, since it has the injector bungs in the intake ports. This way, I wouldn't have to buy a throttle body and I'd get a nice new head as a bonus. Any thoughts?

-Carl

post-954-13667606855405_thumb.jpg

Your still gonna need a throttle body of some sort and your gonna need the fuel rail from that M10 318i too. It's hard to make one since all the injectors aren't perpendicular to one another (may be the same for the other 318i setup).

The head will fit on your block. Your gonna need the distributer too as the cam spins the other way due to the drive on the back of the 318i cam being different. If you use an 02 cam then you can use your distributer setup.

That head breaths the best but has the lowest compression of all the M10 heads. Is that a Metric Mechanic head? Those intake ports look huge.

John

Use a tii head

which one?

and why?

they're no different than a 2002 head.

Well, except for the fuel pump boss...

t

yea, head is the same but the cam is different. If you use the tii pistons along with a tii cam, tii dizzy, and EFI, you will have a very powerful car, faster than the regular KF MFI set up, guaranteed. I am referring to 74 tii models, don't know anything about early tiis.

Guest Anonymous

Really? So what cam does a regular 02 have, and what cam does a tii have?

And why is that going to make it so much faster? Just curious

Tii cam is different, and tii pistons, I believe, different too, giving a higher compression over the regular 2002 engines. That is a common knowledge. I don't know the numbers in terms of duration and lift. EFI takes a original KF tii engine to a different dimension, I know because I did it. If you have any doubts, bring your tii with original KF and I will race you, you will loose. In fact, I will beat any tii engined car with mechanical injection in the world, if I loose I will give the car to you.

yea, head is the same but the cam is different. .

No, the tii all had the same camshaft as the standard 02.

They all have the same part number, and are marked with a "2" stamped on the rim of the front flange.

There were early non-tii cars with cam #1 (no spray bar, internal drilled cam oiling) but these were the same duration 264 degrees.

The 76 standard 2002 49 state version had a very slightly different cam marked #5, and of course the Sport 300 was #3 and Sport 324 was stamped #4, but all the tii were built with cam #2 the very common stock cam from most standard 2002.

Ok then, so what is the difference between a regular 02 and a tii except for KF? If they are the basically the same, was KF the only difference in terms of the extra 20-30 horses?

Well, topics are drifting a little bit here, but I think I got what I need. To summarize a little bit:

Main point is yes, the 1.8i head fits properly on the 2002 block, coolant passages line up, etc, but the different shape of the combustion chamber leads to slightly lower compression than the E12, E21, and 121 heads, correct?

The distributor is not an issue because I am already running EDIS with Megasquirt, so I don't have a dizzy, yay!

Also, the benefit of having the injector ports in the head is that I wouldn't need a new throttle body, I'd just use my DCOE carb body (on the Lynx manifold, my current settup) as the throttle body, as opposed to getting a TWM throttle body for it and trying to run with just 2 injectors.

I was hoping that the fuel rail from the 318i would work, but if not then that is a snag to have to custom make a proper fuel rail.

And yes, it's a MM head, which is why I'm interested in it :D

Higher compression tii 'panio-top' pistons are also on my list for a not-to-distant upgrade.

I too always thought that tii had a different cam, but John_a kinda sounds like he knows what he is talking about. That's impressive though, if the KF and 9.5 pistons were all that were needed for a 30% boost in power!

Anyway, thanks for the input everyone!

-Carl

The problem you are going to encounter with that head is that it is made for CIS injectors, not pulsed injectors. (they are of radically different construction) You will have to machine the head to allow the pulsed injectors to fit. Otherwise it would be a great candidate.

Yep, the CIS/K-jet injectors are a very different beast from normal Bosch EFI injectors. VW used screw in adapters for the injectors, but I'm not sure on BMW.

As toward the throttle plate, I've got a piece of info that I haven't tested yet, but would be worth looking into. Per an MG guy I was talking to, the DGV and VW progressive throttle body have the same footprint. I've eyeballed the progressive on the VW 8v I've got lying around, and they look like it might be true, but I haven't had the ambition to test beyond that (new gaskets and all). IF you can rig up fuel injection to the head, that might provide a bolt on throttle body.

Please clarify the injector comment. I'm building a EFI setup and have never heard that a 318 head can't use regular injectors, or that the head needed machining. My 32lb bosch injectors seem to fit in the ports just fine.